Wish I never had this surgery!

Karen63
on 6/30/14 8:40 am

Okay. I haven't had it done yet lol. But I'm wondering if there are those who looking back now would not have it done knowing what they know now. If you don't feel comfortable saying anything on here you can message me privately.

Carfigure
on 6/30/14 9:04 am

Hi we'll I'm 5 days post op n I'm new to this site so bare with me. I do sometime have regrets but it comes n goes.  I'm really struggling I keep thinking about food. I'm not hungry at all but can't stop thinking about food. I'm on liquid diet n can't seem to have my protein shake cause it's to sweet. I worried that I'm going to get sick.  Will go out tomorrow to find a different protein powder. 

Karen63
on 6/30/14 9:28 am

Carfigure; Maybe getting a protein you can tolerate will help a little. At least your not hungry right? I can imagine thinking about food. I think about it all the time and I'm sure like you after surgery I will too. Please Please get your protein you can tolerate soon. :)

Carfigure
on 6/30/14 10:21 am

I'm going to gnc tomorrow to see what I can get.  I'm very emotional n it's getting harder but will try to hang in. 

Heatherhere
on 6/30/14 5:48 pm

Same as Me  VSG 6-25..I cant stop thinking of food.  Im over getting sick from smells now everything smells good.  Im completely obsessing about food.  Very emotional sad for my loss...

Frantom
on 7/3/14 6:57 am

I'm three years post-op but I can STILL remember the first few weeks and months after my sleeve - everything seemed too rich, too salty, too creammy - too everything!  And I wasn't the only one, there were others back then that experienced the same thing - it's like our taste buds were totally re-set.  I kind of quit cooking (it's my hobby) and switched to more baking because I didn't have to "taste" - all the measurements were there.

It doesn't last forever, but does for a while - just take your time incorporating different foods back.  I'll tell you this: I mostly gave up my favoriet fruit- raspberries, since either the acid or seeds seemed to aggravate my sleeve - but it's a small price to pay for all the new clothes I can wear, no extender for my airplane seatbelts and countless other wonderful new things in my life.

MsBatt
on 6/30/14 9:15 am

From what I've read, a LOT of people have regrets immediately after surgery. Never forget, this is MAJOR surgery, and most folks feel pretty darn bad for weeks or even a few months afterwards.

What you want to look at is how many people have sincere regrets YEARS later. There are not that many, and they usually have had some serious complications, or are dissatisfied with the type of WLS they had.

Complications DO happen, and you do need to be aware of and prepared for that. Most people DON'T have complications, or long-term regrets. Just learn all you can about all forms of WLS (Band, Sleeve/VSG, RNY/gastric bypass, DS/duodenal switch)  before you make your decision.

Karen63
on 6/30/14 9:31 am

Thanks MsBatt; It all makes sense. I am having the sleeve. I've already decided on that because of many existing health conditions. Your right, with any major surgery complications can happen. Just scary and praying for the best.

MsBatt
on 6/30/14 9:52 am

Each form of WLS has a different impact on various medical conditions. Just be sure you've weighed the pros and cons of each in regard to your individual needs. Me, I chose the DS based on a life-long need for NSAIDs, and the fact that both diabetes and high cholesterol runs in both sides of my family. I already had high cholesterol, and while not diabetic, I wanted to pick the surgery most likely to keep me from ever developing it. I'm happy to report that 10+ years later, my cholesterol is 102 and I'm still not diabetic! (*grin*)

TruemansMom
on 7/1/14 1:16 am
VSG on 06/24/13

with VSG whether you can take IB depends on your doc. Mine said none for 2 months (while the gut was healing) but he has partners in the firm who say none for 12 months. I have heard of some who say None, ever post surgery. You should ask since it is important to you!

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Most Active