Should I relax my hair?

Mona Mee
on 6/29/14 10:20 pm - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

Trying to decide whether I should go natural (transition) or relax my hair before my upcoming surgery. Has anyone else had this dilemma? If I'm going to experience possible hair loss I really want my hair in the strongest state possible. It's strong now relaxed, I haven't had one in 3 months. Please let me know any of your experiences! :-)

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Zee Starrlite
on 6/30/14 2:24 am

Don't relax!  With the amount of weight that you are going to lose your hair will more than likely begin shedding - big time!!! Yes, it is only hair but it is so traumatizing to see the amount of hair in your drain.  I tried every ointment, vitamin (hair /skin/nail) etc.  but my hair kept dropping from the root.  The texture was brittle, limp, and plain ugly (I have pics - it looked like sick hair and I was NOT a bypass only Lap Band so no malasorption - when our fat cells shrink, we lose estrogen and whatever else).  I looked into hair replacement I was so freaked.  I cut my hair down and even wore a weave for a short while.  It was an ugly scene. My hair texture even changed and when it grew back I loved and appreciated my hair completely.

There are lots of sites for transitioning.  Start learning about natural hair - our individual "fullness" is quite incredible even for me that only left a relaxer in my hair for 5 mins 2 or 3x's a year at max (this means you will have more hair to work with if it does thin out).  Now I am completely natural.  It was a very hard to get used to your own hair texture but amazing and nice in the long run!!!  What I realized for me is that I "texturized/relaxed" to get the frizz out of my front, back, and sides - it was more psychological than anything else (my childhood photos all look like I am wearing a frizzy crown).  I was surprised too that even though I have a ridiculous amount of shrinkage that my hair blows straight easily.  I discovered on the hair grid that my hair is probably a mixture of 3C/4A and maybe even I dare to say I have some finer hair 3B.  Messed with my hair so long I had no idea that it was naturally kinky curly but manageable.

I wish you the best.  There are some people that have said that they have no issues with hair loss.  So the choice is yours just be prepared.  Start taking biotin and taking extra care of your hair now.

May you have the best post-op life and life long success.

(((HUGS)))

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Mona Mee
on 6/30/14 4:14 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

Thanks Hun! I was natural for 4 years before I relaxed it about 11 months ago. I know how to manage. My hair is super thick and healthy even relaxed, I only get them twice a year. I may refrain from relaxing and just transition again. 

What about braids? At least for the first few months? 

RNY 7/17/2014!! Decided to stop kidding myself about what I'm really doing with my life. Excited for getting back to me!!   

Zee Starrlite
on 6/30/14 5:46 am

You can wait it out and just see what happens.  It seems the hair drops right from the follicle.  It also seems to happen during the 2 - 6th month.  But again, you may be one that may not experience any hair loss.  Anyway it turns out, you will work it out.  

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Mona Mee
on 6/30/14 9:46 am - Largo, MD
RNY on 07/17/14

Thank you so much!!!

Most Active