weight loss before surgery

Bob-47
on 6/29/14 8:14 am

Back in Feb. when I went to the doctors I was appalled at how much weight I had put on. I know I felt like crap and did not want to acknowledge my weight gain. I was at my highest weight ever 414 and I new I needed help. After going to the weight loss seminar I was convinced I could do this on my own. Started a diet and was doing real well then I slipped. That was an indicator to me that I needed the surgery. I did not need to lose weight to have the surgery but I was feeling good about my progress. I65  did well with all my test and surgery is set for July 30th. To date I have lost a total of 65lbs. I feel great and hope I will not plateau after the surgery. Has anyone lost a great deal of weight before their surgery and if yes what was weight loss like afterward?

Grim_Traveller
on 6/29/14 8:55 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I lost a lot before surgery, and I think it helped a lot. You get used to a reduced intake, and a big head start on the honeymoon period after surgery. I've seen many that didn't lose much before surgery, and even a few that gained, and they had a harder time after surgery.

I think those that gained or lost very little before do great on their first month postop, but then come back to earth. I didn't lose as much my first month postop, probably because I had been losing so much before. But it gave me a good head start, and I think it helped me get to my goal weight.

Keep up the great job. This is the best thing you can be doing for yourself. You can see my stats under my ticker.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bob-47
on 6/29/14 10:05 am

Thanks for the feedback. I have been losing steadily for some time. Just hit a plateau a week back but I think I was not getting enough calories. Increased my intake some and started dropping again. I am below the weight I wanted to be at on surgery date. I am sure I will lose some with 2 week prior-diet.I an a realist and will understand some hiccups in weight lose.

Laura in Texas
on 6/29/14 11:19 am

From my observations here, generally the people who lose a lot pre-op do not lose as rapidly the first few months post-op so keep that in mind. Do not get discouraged if the loss seems slower for you. As Grim said, developing good habits early is most important for long term success.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Musicteech
on 6/29/14 11:53 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

I've been dieting since September & lost 16 on my own.  On June 11 I started the liquid pre-op diet & lost another 13.  I'm almost 2 weeks post-op & have lost 6.  That's a huge success for me....losing 35 pounds since September!!  Hoping to lose 18 more by September so I can be under 300.  I think that's possible!!

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

Bob-47
on 6/30/14 9:33 am

Keep up the great job.Think positive and enjoy your new beginning. I still have 30 day's until my surgery, but I am in a great place mentally and am looking forward to my new ME!

Most Active