Help! I'm confused and need opinions about surgeries!

katiegirl85
on 6/28/14 4:09 pm

I'm planning on having weight loss surgery within the next month or so, and up till this point have been set on getting the Lap-Band. I've gone through 4 months meeting with a nutritionist, with everything geared towards getting the Band. But at my last appointment with my surgeon, he wasn't painting the Lap-Band in a very good light and said I should seriously look into the sleeve. But to be honest, the sleeve scares me! The idea of taking out a part of my stomach makes me really nervous, and also the stomach staples. (I actually had a neighbor get the Sleeve a few years ago and she had leakage through her staples and ended up passing away.Does that happen a lot??)  I want to make the right decision, and where I'm only 28 I know I would have a long road ahead of me to have potential problems with the Band. I need some help knowing what to do!! 

Gwen M.
on 6/29/14 5:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I find the lap band significantly scarier with all the permanent complications it leads to.  

I had the sleeve and I'm super happy.  Leaks are rare - but you can, and should, ask your surgeon what his leak rate is.  It's more likely that you'll develop a leak if you're non-compliant with your post-op diet.  Beyond that, if you learn the signs to watch for and go to the hospital if you have any of those signs, you should be fine.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

JenniPenny
on 6/29/14 5:59 am - MN

For me the lap band is scarier and was when I had my surgery 13 yrs ago. I still would never have the band. You can have leakage with the band, it can slip, cause scar tissue, not work at all, you can lose the port and have to have another surgery to find the original one and put in a second one, you can have problems with fills, something foreign in your body and you may not get the results you would with a RNY or Sleeve procedure. YOu will probably have to have the band replaced - most go 10 yrs then need another one, some sooner. THey corrode, wear out and slip. I had RNY almost 14 yrs ago, I'm happy healthy at goal and don't remember I'm a post op. I eat well, exercise have a life and would do it again in a heartbeat. The sleeve is safe, effective and you don't have to worry about putting something foreign into your body that may cause more problems than you want to deal with. Check out the sleeve forum and do more research. for me it's only sleeve or RNY. I wanted results, minimal complications and permanent weight loss.

Jen RY 2001

Womack179
on 6/29/14 7:20 am

I too have these same thoughts. Sadly my insurance won't pay and my wallet can not take a 500.00 a month payment. I am looking into going to Mexico to have mine done but that's scares the crap out of me. 

56sunShine14
on 6/30/14 12:52 am

Katiegirl,  you don't say how much weight you need to lose, or our BMI or if you have other health issues and that is important info in your consideration for which WLS you are looking into. I am having my band removed in a few weeks because #1 - my 80 pounds lost was mostly from vomiting even though I followed all the rules.  #2- I had a very rough 12 hours of vomiting one night and the surgeon couldn't find time to see me afterward.  Very poor aftercare and you MUST have good after care with the band because you constantly have to go back for fills/unfills through the years.  #3 - After losing my job and therefore my insurance, I couldn't afford the constant need for fills/unfills.

That all said, there are many people who have had great success with the band, you should check out the Lap band board.  There are also many people who have NOT had good results from the band, check out the Revisions and Failed Lap Band sites.  Most of the failures were NOT due to non-conformity to the rules as some suggest.

You are going to find good and bad and down right freaking scary stories about any weight loss procedure.  Any time you go under the knife for any reason, you will find risk.  You need to make the decision that is right for you.

I would say, if you have less than 80 pounds to lose and can keep weight off after it is lost, the band might be good for you.  Otherwise, I would never suggest it again in my life.  Good luck with whatever you decide on.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Most Active