taking antibiotics after gastric sleeve

sterlingsheron
on 6/26/14 6:38 pm

minocycline hydrochloride for gastric sleeve is it ok to take?

Tracy D.
on 6/27/14 1:20 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

That is a medical question - please ask your doctor.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

hollykim
on 6/27/14 1:42 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

certainly ask your surgeon,but since the sleeve is just your same stomach only smaller,it should act the same way as pre surgery.

Cathy W.
on 6/27/14 3:47 am

Check with your surgeon or PCP for this medication.

For future medications, tell/remind the prescribing physician that you have the Sleeve and ask if the medication is okay for use as a post-op.  When I pick up the prescription, I also ask the pharmacist just to make sure.  Even though my doctor knows I've had RNY, I still have to remind him.  There have been a few times that he changed the medication or dose.  After I've confirmed with the pharmacist that a certain medication is okay for my WLS, once he called my PCP to discuss it.

MsBatt
on 6/27/14 10:37 am

I'm not familiar with that particular medication, but remember---a Sleeve is still a fully-functional stomach, just smaller. Also, antibiotics, like almost everything else, is absorbed in the gut, NOT the stomach. With a Sleeve, you have no intestinal bypass so you *should* be able to take anything post-op that you could pre-op.

basilmk
on 6/27/14 11:05 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I took minocin for many years ...it is a strong form of tetracycline.  I haven't taken it for some time so, of course don't know if it's appropriate post op.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active