How is life without a gallbladder?

Andie
on 6/27/14 11:41 am - FRANKFORT, OH

I am considering a revision from a RNY to a DS...does your Dr talk like yours will be a complicated surgery?  Thats what I keep running into as well as no surgeon in Ohio does it

HKFandora
on 6/27/14 12:57 pm

I have the sleeve so it's the second step. No complications. RNY to DS I heard is something you want the best skilled. Have you considered just doing a shorter channel?

MsBatt
on 6/30/14 9:47 am

A true RNY-to-DS IS a complicated surgery, and there are only a handful of surgeons who do it. Most people do have to travel in order to get this done. Do NOT go with an extended RNY instead unless you research it VERY thoroughly. Many people who have this describe it as the 'worst of both the RNY and the DS', meaning you still have all the potential problems of a pouch and stoma, a highly restricted ability to eat, but with a high degree of malabsorption that means you NEED to eat more than is usually comfortable.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/28/14 2:30 pm

I had my gallbladder out a few years prior to my rny, and once I healed I never noticed a difference in any way of what I could eat.  Apparently I could eat pretty well because I gained about 50lbs in those years until I got to 283.5 and finally decided to save my life by having rny.  Nine years later and still at goal of 130lbs.

HKFandora
on 6/29/14 12:22 am

Congrats!

lschnyder
on 6/30/14 10:47 pm - Hay River, Canada

I had my gallbladder removed Jan 2010 and honestly I've had more acid problems now than I did with it in. My doctors recommended that I have it removed as I was creating gall stones and it would only get worse if I became pregnant. So silly me, I had it removed and now I need to take medication daily to stop from throwing up stomach acid. On the bright side, I did temporarily lose 40 lbs in 2 weeks because i couldn't keep anything down and was severely dehydrated. Hope this helps you.

Most Active