How is life without a gallbladder?

HKFandora
on 6/26/14 2:40 am
On June 26, 2014 at 9:36 AM Pacific Time, Tracy D. wrote:

Exactly the same as it was before I had it removed...except afterward (and this was years before WLS) I was able to eat steak, eggs and ice cream again without suffering debilitating pains that would cause me to pass out - literally!  

Crazy, so to be clear you passed out due to your gallbladder due to the foods?

Tracy D.
on 6/26/14 4:32 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Certain high-fatty foods would cause a gallbladder attack.  And the pain from that was so intense that it made me pass out.  Not the food - the pain from the attack, which feels a whole lot like a heart attack.  VERY glad not to have to deal with that anymore! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

HKFandora
on 6/26/14 2:43 am

Okay so it looks like a toss up, some are affected some aren't. Looks like most aren't affected. The affected had diarrhea like symptoms, which I am to expect with the DS, but now I'm thinking it's because of the lack of gallbladder. Hmmm.. If anyone can attest to the loose stools and lack of gallbladder please let me know. Either way, it doesn't seem too much like that big a deal. Thanks, your answers have helped me, and if anyone wants to add more they are welcome to.

CHELLEYGIRL
on 6/26/14 8:20 am - PALMDALE, CA

I forgot to mention i do have the loose stool. Other than that though, no issues. 

HW-258 SW- 247 CW-147 Surgery date-8/11/2011

Hislady
on 6/26/14 3:37 am - Vancouver, WA

Had mine removed several years ago and have no problem with any type of food, even right after surgery I didn't have any issues.

Soozieq26
on 6/26/14 3:52 am

I had mine out 9 years ago and have had no issues or food restrictions at all.

Poohkieboo
on 6/26/14 5:47 am

The only problem I have is if I eat a big breakfast like pancakes. I'll get stomach cramps after about an hour and need to run to the bathroom. On the plus side... if I'm constipated I have an easy fix!!!!

pamela258
on 6/26/14 9:59 am
with
Had mine out 6 months to the day after RNY. Life is fine without it. Don't even know it's gone.

RNY - 8/12/2013

MsBatt
on 6/27/14 10:47 am

Who's your surgeon? Many DS surgeons do routinely remove both the gall bladder and the appendix, not because they're "in the way", but because removing them automatically eliminates two possible causes of abdominal pain or surgery. (In other words, if you present with abdominal pain, they KNOW it ain't your gall bladder or your appendix, and so don't waste time checking them.)

Many, many people develop gall bladder trouble after WLS or rapid weight loss from any reason. Your gall bladder doesn't really DO anything, it's just a storage tank for the bile your pancreas produces. I did have mine out during my DS, and I've never missed it at all. (*grin*)

HKFandora
on 6/27/14 11:07 am

Yatco at Lenox Hill. That was his reasoning for the removal not due to the gallstones. What I have learned is there are different techniques to the same surgery and this might be the case. Either way, him and I will discuss this along with the length of the common channel etc. 

Most Active