THE LOSS OF A LEADER EXPOSES THE STRENGTH OF A FAMILY AND UNITED MEDICAL TEAM

AmericanMom
on 6/27/14 5:48 am

I had finally made the decision, after many years of waiting, watching, and researching, to schedule the bariatric sleeve surgery to help me to better manage my health – I called the always available and ever-friendly Nina and had the initial conversation, which was enlightening and comforting, to say the least.

From the start, the team was in constant contact with me to ensure that all the necessary paperwork and tasks were appropriately completed so that my journey was not only successful, but pleasant as well.

My group and I arrived at our hotel and met most of the team, including Nina and her gracious mother, and a couple of the doctors, and the entire exchange went completely fluidly and without flaw.

…then tragedy struck without regard to commitments, obligations, personal feelings or relationships and it stole from the world a great man and an amazing surgeon and mentor. An uncle. A father. A friend.

The morning of our scheduled surgeries, my group and I were called into a small room to meet with Nina and her family, and we were told that Dr. Aceves had passed away.

My heart skipped and I was immediately grief-stricken for these wonderful people, and then it hit me – he was “the one” who was supposed to help me change my life. I wa**** with a sense of dread, which was utterly selfish, but hopefully understandable.

Nina and her husband controlled their composure and explained to our little group that Dr. Aceves was not the last line for this type of surgery. He was not the only skilled, experienced surgeon to have performed this type of procedure. Instead, she explained that there is an ENTIRE TEAM of individuals that work together like a well-oiled machine to make the entire process successful.

I could breathe again. I exhaled and continued to listen as Nina bravely explained the situation, comforted us, offered us options…all while dealing with the loss of her uncle.

Dr. Aceves would want them to carry on and continue the legacy of helping people become healthy and happy, and I felt that was her true focus. Us, not her.

This is when we learned about Dr. Beltran, who is a remarkable and wise surgeon. We came to learn that Dr. Beltran was mentored by Dr. Aceves…who would have thought that more than one man could possess such extremely extraordinary skills??

I hadn't even considered that fact.

Not only could I breathe now, but I was smiling again, because this amazing medical team had worked through their loss and STILL made me (and the group I was with) feel that we were still valued. Comforted. Not alone. Not abandoned. We were still their most important concern. They all acknowledged that we had taken all the necessary steps, taken time from work, traveled, mentally prepared ourselves – and had embraced our decision to go through with the surgery.

We were given the option to back out and give up – but, in my opinion, this is not something Dr. Aceves would have wanted from anyone. I had put my trust in this group, thus far, and I wasn’t about to back down now. Besides, having health challenges (as we all do) means we’re all familiar with obstacles and challenges – why not add one more to the mix and really spice things up! I made the decision to carry on with the procedure as did the rest of my group, and as far I know, none of us have regretted this. Dr. Beltran didn't miss a beat, and he was personable, had a great bed-side manner and was very comfortable taking over this role.

To the ENTIRE MBC TEAM – thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for helping me, even in such a trying, tense and painful time. Your professionalism, your commitment and your organization is incredible.

To those of you still waiting and considering the procedure – don’t panic – you’re in good hands. Step over the bump in the road and keep moving forward.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/27/14 7:09 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I'm glad you were able to go forward with your procedure!

That being said, there are MANY qualified surgeons with "extremely extraordinary skills;" just look at all of the people on the forums here who've gone to different doctors and been successful! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Cathy W.
on 6/27/14 7:51 am

Congratulations on having your surgery.  I hope you have a speedy recovery. 

With the sudden loss of Dr. Aceves, it is nice to read in your post how your surgical experience went and how positive it turned out.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Tammy C.
on 6/30/14 5:31 am

What a great post!  I am happy to hear that Dr. Beltran will be doing your surgery.  He is an excellent surgeon!

Most Active