lap band prolapse

beccalynn
on 6/26/14 5:59 am

I had lap band surgery about 4 years ago.  I started out at 264lbs and was down to close to 200lbs.  I don't remember how long that took.  But overtime I gained the weight back. I have had alot of problems with the band, mostly my fault.   Right now I am at 248lbs.  In March of this year I started having severe heartburn.  I had an upper GI done and was found to have mild prolapse but the doctor gave me some time to correct my diet and see if that helped.  It hasn't.  Today he took out all the fluid in my band and told me I should have a different kind of surgery done.  His staff is going to see what my insurance will cover if anything.  I am scared to death not to have any restriction.  He has told me my appetite is going to sky rocket.  I have no idea if I want to the traditional bypass , gastric sleeve, or nothing.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.  

56sunShine14
on 6/26/14 6:51 am

beccalynn,  I am having my band removed in a few short weeks. 

Your surgeon is right, you need something else.  I have to ask you, did you really follow your rules to try to correct the prolapse or just half way?  Please don't be upset with me, there is a reason I am asking.

I also had difficulty finding the right restriction, it took 1 1/2 years!  But I followed the rules to a "T" all the way and lost 80 pounds. However, 3 years later I had a vomiting episode that decided for me this was not the way I want to live!  Yet, I didn't know where to turn.  The surgeons after care stunk!  And even after that episode, I couldn't get an appt. to see him, I ended up walking out when I found out he was on hospital rounds during the time he was scheduled to see me.  I will NEVER recommend him again.

But, before you search other surgeries, you need to be able to stay with the program because if you don't, all of the weight will return!  If you go for the sleeve, the duodenal switch, where 85% of your stomach is removed from your body, you don't want to regain!!

PLEASE, for your sake - research these surgeries and what will be required and look inside yourself to see it you can do this.  And then, if you can, go for it.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

danixbanani
on 6/27/14 6:33 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12

Hi there, you should research the other surgeries more because you WILL have restriction as your stomach will be made smaller.  I went from band to sleeve.  I had 80% of my stomach cut out as well as the part that produces the "hunger" hormone so my appetite is greatly diminished.  Will your appetite increase if you get no surgery?  Yes, of course it will but it shouldn't if you get another surgery done properly.  It doesn't really sound like your surgeon is giving you accurate information so you might want to also research a surgeon skilled in revision and/or the other surgery options.  Good luck.

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

LaurieAr
on 9/3/14 1:20 pm - knobel, ar

i just got through spending 3 hours at my surgeons office.  i was banded in 2006, they found my stomach had prolapsed through the band in February.  They took out all fluid.  went for the next upper gi 6 weeks later with hoping the stomach would slide back down the band.  it did not.  they sent my insurance stuff to revise from band to sleeve.  Insurance denied it.  I appealed, insurance denied it.  Sent in the 3rd appeal.  Insurance denied it. Insurance denied it due to the company only allowing 1 bariatric surgery a life time.   I am not getting my band out ( insurance will pay for that) but i am having to pay for the revision out of pocket which is going to cost about $18,000.  My band has been unfilled since February and my appetite did not sky rocket or get worse, it stayed normal.  I just knew i had to make the right choice of food.  Now i am home and waiting for hospital to call to give me a date of my upcoming surgery.

Most Active