What to do when you want to binge eat

Lilly228
on 6/22/14 10:33 pm

What are some things y'all do instead of binge eat. I have just had some sad news and an onset wave of depression. Pre op I would just go to a fast food joint and stuff my face. The urge is still there and it's strong "just eat unhealthy it will comfort you" I don't want food to be my comfort anymore but I don't know any "healthy" ways to cope when I'm like this (FYI I battle with major cliental depression) I know some people say work out but that's no good either I don't exactly wanna hit the gym with year stains on my face. Help and advice is appreciated and welcomed thanks.

Lilly228
on 6/22/14 10:33 pm

What are some things y'all do instead of binge eat. I have just had some sad news and an onset wave of depression. Pre op I would just go to a fast food joint and stuff my face. The urge is still there and it's strong "just eat unhealthy it will comfort you" I don't want food to be my comfort anymore but I don't know any "healthy" ways to cope when I'm like this (FYI I battle with major cliental depression) I know some people say work out but that's no good either I don't exactly wanna hit the gym with year stains on my face. Help and advice is appreciated and welcomed thanks.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/22/14 11:05 pm - UK

I don't know which surgery you have had and the answer may be different for different surgeries, but my way is first of all to keep busy and then if that isn't working, I eat smething which is going to make me feel very full and less interested in food.  For me that would be a chunk of solid protein or something I find hard to eat like a banana.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/23/14 1:42 am
RNY on 12/31/13

First, my disclaimer -- I don't suffer from clinical depression.  I have great empathy for those who do, but I recognize that I may not fully understand, so forgive me if my ideas are worthless for you.  

I am/was an emotional eater.  Through counseling, I have worked very hard to change this behavior.  I remember asking nearly the very same question that you posed … and the counselor (who was maybe a size 2) suggested exercise as an alternative.  Really?  Exercise?  I asked incredulously, "How is using an activity that I view as a punishment going to replace the comfort of food???!!"  Sorry, but even now, I don't see jogging as being a lusciously wonderful as a juicy hamburger.  WTH?  

So, I set out to find things I could do that perhaps weren't as great as food but still enjoyable.  I worked on finding the feeling and identifying what I was using food to do for it.  For example, sometimes after a long day I would feel like sitting in front of the tv munching.  So, I'd ask myself, what am I really feeling?  The answer was that I was tired from a very long day.  The feeling is tired.  What did I want food to do for me?  The answer was help me relax from a tiring day. So now that I knew the feeling and what I wanted from food, the new question was:  since I am tired, what can I do to relax besides eat.  Hmm.  How about go to bed?!  Or meditate.  Or read.  None of these options may be my addiction (food) but none of them were punishments.  I do this with all things now.  I won an award at work -- first reaction: Let's go out to eat to celebrate.  The feeling: joy and celebration.  What do I want food to do for me: help me celebrate.  What else can I do that isn't my addiction to celebrate?  Go to a movie, go out with friends to listen to music, buy a new outfit, etc …

I am guessing that with depression the feeling would most likely be sadness.  Of course, only you know what the emotion is truly and it may be complicated by more than one feeling at a time.  I am also guessing that the job you want food to do is to alleviate the sadness.  So, the question becomes, what can you do while accepting that it may not be as great as food, that will make you feel better.  The funny thing about using food is that while it may feel good at the moment, it usually makes me feel bad in the long-term.  Some things that I do when I feel sadness and want to eat are write/blog, organize pictures, volunteer for a good cause, Facebook, watch happy movies, and even shop.  I've tried meditation but I have no patience for it.  LOL.

I hope this is of some value to you.  I am sorry for whatever sadness is in your life right now and wish you happiness in the future.   

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/23/14 8:58 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I think this is a wonderful post with great suggestions.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 6:59 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I try hard to do anything else but eat - I read, I exercise, I play with cats, I talk to friends, whatever I can do, I do it.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jastypes
on 6/23/14 6:59 am - Croydon, PA

You may not want to go to the gym with tear stains, but I've heard it said that exercise is the best anti-depressant.  If you don't want to go to the gym, you can still take a walk, ride your bike, dance in the house -- check out on demand fitness programs.  Of course, I'm saying that, but I'd never do it myself!  LOL.  I use talk therapy -- find a therapist or a good friend or group of friends (like in the rooms of OA, for example).  I also take hot bubble baths and scream when I am feeling particularly desperate.  We all have to find what works for us, because we know food does not.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

kathkeb
on 6/23/14 7:23 am

I have a listof 25 things to do besides eat 

I look at that list .. And choose something to do.

Some of those things are fun, some are chores ..... But all of them are made to distract me for at least 15 minutes 

Kath

Most Active