New post surgery guide lines

Oldfastcar
on 6/22/14 12:10 pm

After my surgery....2009 I was told have 60g of protein.

I now see that number is considerably higher. Has anyone seen the new guide lines ?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/14 12:20 pm - OH

Most surgeon still seem to recommend a minimum of 60g, but some suggest more.  Many times people have a surgeon recommendation of  the 60 but they choose on their own (or based on what other people here are doing) to get more in order to limit their carb intake and still stay full.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Musicteech
on 6/22/14 1:42 pm - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

60-80g of protein per day.

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

poet_kelly
on 6/22/14 2:10 pm - OH

What guidelines are you referring to?  Different surgeons have different guidelines, but that's not new.  Different surgeons had different recommendations when I had my surgery in 2008.

The ASMBS recommends 1.1 grams protein per kilogram of ideal body weight.  I believe that was their recommendation in 2009 and as far as I know, they haven't changed it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/22/14 9:43 pm

I started with 60 gr a day. But blood lab work showed that unless I get 100-120 a day my protein are low normal.  But I am muscular and I restrict carbs so my body uses proteins for energy. 

If you don't provide body with proteins - it will start breaking down muscle.  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MsBatt
on 6/23/14 9:36 am

The ideal number for you is probably not the ideal number for me. You should base your intake on what your lab work shows.

Which form of WLS did you have? That makes a huge difference, too. Perhaps the 'much higher' numbers you're seeing are for people with the DS---we only absorb about half the protein we eat.

Most Active