Before and after WLS cravings

jimisand
on 6/22/14 7:30 am

Hi,

I am overeater and loveeeee eating. I have a lot cravings for "junk" food. Especially when emotional.

I understand that WLS is a tool and not to be taken lightly. That is why I am wondering if anyone has experienced this:

Before surgery, did you turn to food because of emotional stresses? 

Now after surgery, what do you do about your emotional stresses? Do you have an alternative "outlet" to channel your emotions?  When "something goes wrong in life", how do you cope with it now if you used to eat junk food before.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jimisand

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/22/14 9:49 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I look at junk food as money, as can I afford this right now? I was mostly into sweets, had a bad day, eat some chocolate, had a good day, oh I deserve some chocolate!, followed my diet, ooh let me reward myself, how about some chocolate? I think you know what I'm getting at.

So right b4 my surgery I decided ok let me cut back on the sweets, cold turkey never worked for me. Later it was write down everything I ate, then cut back some more, then it was find alternatives to satisfy my sweet tooth. Then it was acknowledge that life was gonna hand me some bs at times and to deal with it in other ways. Hmm boss gave me a bad evaluation, I'm gonna work out extra hard at the gym and pretend I'm kicking his butt. Did good on my diet, window shopping, or adding stuff to my wishlist online. Finally knowing some days a substitute just won't do, I want the real thing! I look at my journal, check if exercise, water, vitamins & protein all good, and maybe not so good, give in to the moment, write it down, but not let it cascade me into a free for all, just pick myself back up & remember why I gave in & come up with another strategy to deal with it the nxt time. Still like junk food & my sweets, but it's like money to me now, can I afford it!, sometimes yes, most times, no. Good luck in your weight loss journey!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

jimisand
on 6/22/14 12:18 pm

1lastime...thank you for your inspiration.

For me, my self-confidence was knocked down years ago. I did a popular weight loss program 10 years ago and lost over 60lbs. I was exercising and feeling good. Then my confidence went and other "life changing" events happened and the emotional eating came back. i gained all the weight back on. 8 years ago I did another popular program and had lots of support from that program and lost over 80lbs. And once again, I gained it back. I know how to diet, it's those "life changing" moments that seem to take over.

Now, I have a spinal cord injury and my mobility is limited being that one leg only works 30%. It was recommended by professionals that I have WLS. because of my physical challenges it would be too difficult to lose weight on my own. Again, knowing "how" to eat properly is not the issue.....it's dealing emotions. After two excellent weight loss adventures.....and fails, I don't want to fall into that again...especially if I had surgery.

Anyone else that is/was an emotional eater before/after WLS have a story they care to share?

Thanks,

Jimisand

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/22/14 2:19 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I consider myself more of a food addict than an emotional eater.  I can tell you that my relationship with food has dramatically changed since WLS -- my life no longer centers around food.  I am only six months out, however.  I wish for you every success.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/23/14 5:57 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I am an emotional overeater.  I lived off junk food prior to surgery.  It soothed me when I was feeling anxious or depressed.  Hence my high weight of 449 pounds.

After surgery (and lots of therapy), I find other channels to work out my anger, frustration, boredom, stress, etc.  Exercise is a great outlet.  I find that if i get myself out of the current environment where I'm feeling on the verge of a meltdown, I can get passed the binge cravings.  A walk, a drive, cleaning my house, coming onto Obesity Help and reading other people's experiences all help me move forward. Some people like to journal/blog.  Food is no longer my release from emotional pain. 

But it does take time to get past the emotional component of our addiction to food.  It will probably never go away completely, but it's no longer a daily solution to life's problems.  Losing weight is the best motivator to staying on track.  When you feel better, you don't want to backslide and fail.  Take it for what it's worth since I'm only six months out.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 6:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I highly recommend that you add a mental health professional to your team for post-op living.  I see a therapist weekly and she really helps me out with unpacking all of this stuff.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jimisand
on 6/23/14 7:13 am
On June 23, 2014 at 1:50 PM Pacific Time, GwenMo wrote:

I highly recommend that you add a mental health professional to your team for post-op living.  I see a therapist weekly and she really helps me out with unpacking all of this stuff.  

Thank you for the advice. 

Is the therapist something that is covered or do you pay out of pocket?

Thanks

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 7:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My insurance covers mental health - I suggest calling the number on your health insurance card to see if yours does!  I have a $25 copay which is worth every penny.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active