regain weight

Eddiecruzer
on 6/21/14 1:38 pm
with

I had a gastric sleeve performed and it's been 1 year and 3 months. I have lost 120 pounds and I feel good. The only problem is that I have tried to stop the weight lose but I just can't seem to stop. I'm at a point where it's getting hard for me to function on a normal basis due to the lack of energy. I eat as many fatty foods as I can and drink a lot of protein shakes. Does anybody know anything I can go to regain some weight?

Ladytazz
on 6/22/14 12:18 am

Since there is no malabsorption with the sleeve then the reason you are still losing weight is because you aren't eating enough.  The food you eat may be higher in calories but obviously the portions aren't big enough.

I don't think just reducing the size of your stomach would change your metabolism to where you suddenly aren't able to gain weight no matter how much you eat but I'm not a doctor.

At one year it isn't uncommon for people to lose a bit more then they wanted, which isn't a bad thing really if they don't get underweight or it doesn't affect their health.  As you get further out your eating capacity will grow and you will have the famous bounce back everyone talks about.  If you are under your ideal weight then hopefully the bounce back will take you exactly where you want to be.

One thing I will caution you about is don't view needed to put on some weight as a free for all.  You can certainly gain weight with healthy food and there is no reason to eat junk to gain weight.  Many have let that genie out of the bottle and had a hell of a time getting it back.

If you can't eat a lot then eat often.  Snack on things like nuts and cheese, peanut butter on celery sticks, things like that.

Adding a few protein shakes will help, as well.  Just remember to do it in a controlled way so that if you find your weight drifting too far up you will be able to cut back to where you want to be.

Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Eddiecruzer
on 6/22/14 1:03 am
with

Thanx! For the response my concern is that they told me my stomach has a 3 ounce capacity so I limit my self to what I eat in gear I might hurt the sleeve. If you don't mind me asking what would you consider a normal portion meal. Say for instance, would it be ok to eat a complete chicken burger or would that be pushing the envelope? 

Ladytazz
on 6/22/14 8:49 am

Don't be afraid to eat more volume.  It is normal and necessary for your sleeve to get bigger over time.  As you can see, living on 3 oz of food can be dangerous.  As long as you don't overeat you shouldn't need to worry about stretching your pouch.

I have a very small pouch.  My operation report says it was 30 cc, which from what I understand is pretty standard for pouches.  That is about an ounce.  In the beginning I could eat about 4 oz of soft food.  My nutritionist told me that by about a year out I should be able to eat a 10 oz Healthy Choice dinner.  That seemed incomprehensible at the time but it has turned out to be pretty accurate.  I don't eat Healthy Choice but I have had some frozen meals that were about 10 oz and usually I am able to eat it all.

Most people will find that they have different capacities on any given day.  Some days I am stuffed after a few bites of meat and other days I feel like I could eat and eat.  I don't pu**** and stick with a set amount.  The goal is to be satisfied with your food, not stuffed.

What I consider a normal portion my be different from other people's opinion.  I usually have about 3 or 4 oz of meat and about then a few bites of whatever else is in the meal.  At nearly 4 years out I can pretty much tell when enough is enough.  I can tell when one more bite would be too much and if I do try to eat it I am usually sorry.  

Your best bet would be to talk to your nutritionist and find out what they recommend for your portion size at this point.  If you don't have a nutritionist it may be worth the money to have a consultation with one who specializes in bariatric patients.  Your surgeon should be able to refer you.  My insurance didn't pay for a nutritionist so I paid out of pocket for the first year to help guide me.  I saw her right after my surgery then ever few months.  By about 1 year I pretty much had it down.

As far as a chicken burger, I would avoid refined carbs.  I am kind of a stickler for that because I know I am addicted to refined carbs and have never been able to eat them in moderation.  My main reason I wound up on the operating table, not once but twice, was because of eating bread, pasta and things like that.  I do eat gluten free but I avoid refined food and sugar.  

If you think you can eat those things in moderation and those aren't a problem for you then you could try half a burger to start.  Generally my rule of thumb when I eat out is to portion the meal into two meals.  I take the second half home, although some days it has turned into 3 or more meals.  Most places serve large portions because that is what people want, even if it's not what they need.

When I buy food, where it talks about the nutritional content it always says how many servings there are.  One can of chili, for instance is 2 servings.  Who knew?  I just assumed a can of chili was a meal.  Just about every time I look at a portion and think it will never be enough.  I tell myself to just eat it and if I still want more I can have seconds.  It never happens. One serving is always enough.

Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Eddiecruzer
on 6/22/14 9:43 am
with

Thanx! For the insight all the info you have given me really helps. Gives me a better understanding.

Eddiecruzer
on 6/22/14 1:06 am
with

As of right now I'm 155 pounds 30 pounds under weight:(. The weight is dropping faster than I can gain it. 

Gwen M.
on 6/22/14 1:40 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If you're not able to add more volume at a meal, are you able to add an extra meal or two?  For example, if you're currently eating 3 meals a day, try changing that to 4 meals a day.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

kerry B.
on 6/22/14 2:37 am
VSG on 11/04/13

Have you spoken to your surgeon and nutritionist about this.  I would start there.  First need to make sure there is not something wrong medically, then your nutritionist should be able to outline a plan for you if everything if all is well.  It's a start.  

5'9", 52 years old, 10 years postop VSG, HW 316 CW 195. Updated 11-12-23

A. Kondrlik
on 6/22/14 2:39 am
VSG on 01/24/13

At about a  year our capacity increases.  At your stage and now I can comfortably eat 3 to 4 oz protein half a cup of veggies and 1/4 cup of a grain. I  am almost 18 months out, In order to get enough in to maintain my weight I have to eat 6 times a day small meals.  I would rather not, but that is where I am at.  My goal is to gradually eliminate two of those meals and have 3 meals and a snack. have you added back in healthy carbs ( I am talking about whole grains-not bread or pasta)-, fruits, bean, starchier veggies?

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active