how quickly can/do you lose weight after?

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/14 6:02 pm - warren, MI

Im just curious as to what to expect and I wanna set reasonable goals for myself. what were your pre wls weights how much did you lose and how quickly? i am 412-420 and im 5'3 i would like to be 110-115 but i would be fine with anything under 130 

SusieOl
on 6/20/14 7:09 pm

It all depends on your body, how much you eat, what you eat, and how often you exercise. I had my surgery 3/11/14 and ive lost 110lbs. I had some major complications and spent 18 days in the hospital, and had 3 additional surgeries. I cant exercise much yet. I have a weight restriction and just had a GI drain removed.

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/14 7:56 pm - warren, MI

wow thats amazing even if you were back to normal!!! good job!! =)

AllisonKara
on 6/20/14 8:14 pm

The weight loss actually depends mostly on your body type and how fast you recover from the surgery.If your recovery is good and you are able to take up some kind of exercise then it is certainly going to help you lose weight faster.But I feel that your top priority,after the surgery,should be getting back on your feet as fast as possible.

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/14 9:12 pm - warren, MI

my plan is to be up and moving within a few hours after. the sooner you move the quicker you recover =)

Gwen M.
on 6/21/14 3:48 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Depends on the person.  

I have an ultimate goal that I'd like to reach with my weight, but I have no sort of timeline to reach it.  If it takes 2 years - awesome.  If it takes 5, that's awesome too.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/21/14 4:22 am - OH

It also depends on which surgery you have!

just a word of caution. Please don't set yourself up for heartbreak down the road.  Even at 5'3", depending on your body copposition,bone  mass, etc., it may not be realistic to expect to be under 130 pounds, especially after being over 400 pounds. 

i would hate to see you lose SO much weight and then be deeply disappointed by not reaching a goal that may not be realistic.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 6/21/14 6:38 am - warren, MI

well it is a goal and I would like to try to achieve it in a realistic time frame but only because I like to have something to try for and if I dont get there I just keep trying. I dont get disappointed easily I believe in trying your best and If it isnt perfect just keep trying. I would love to be under 130 but if that never happens I will still love myself. I strive for perfection but imperfect perfection. I need things to work for but failure just makes me work harder or recreate my plan because I take failure as a lesson learned and move on. what I want is to figure out what people lost on average per month so I can set something reasonable to strive for and have an idea. If I am not there when the goal was set I change it and continue. =)

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 6/21/14 8:09 am, edited 6/21/14 8:09 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

You don't lose the same amount of weight every month.  I lost 60 lbs by the end of my second month, another 40 lbs (for a total of 100 lbs) but the end of 6 months, 43 more lbs in months 6-12 (for a total of 143 lbs) and 30 more lbs in months 12-18 (for a total of 173 lbs lost).  I am 22 months out and I'm pretty sure I'm done losing and now the super hard part starts in trying to maintain.  I eat about 1400 calories a day and if I eat more my weight starts to creep up and I have to cut back.   

ETA--no two people lose the same amount of weight.  It all varies person to person.  

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Cunning_Pam
on 6/21/14 7:14 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Honestly, I would reconsider your goals and goal setting process. IMO it's fine to have an ultimate goal weight, I have a goal myself. But setting goals for each individual month or other time period for weight loss isn't productive IMO. Sometimes the body is gonna do what the body is gonna do. Instead, consider setting goals for other things than weight loss, for example have a goal for number of minutes of exercise per week, or number of calories and/or carbs averaged per day. Goals for things that are directly under your control are much better than goals that you can only influence indirectly.

Like Gwen said, I have an ultimate goal for my weight, but it doesn't matter to me how long it takes before I reach it. One year, 18 months, two years, anything would be fine. What's more important to me are the lifestyle changes I'm making and working to internalize. The weight goal is just a "side" goal, if that makes any sense.

Your mileage may vary, of course. This is just my opinion.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Most Active