How Did You Tell Your Boss?

Crystal M.
on 6/21/14 10:20 pm
VSG on 06/23/14

I told work that I was having my gall bladder removed. I am only taking one week off (for financial reasons). I feel horrible for not telling them the truth because we are a tight knit group. But it is no one's business what kind of surgery I am having. I didn't want to overshadow my pregnant co-worker who is due soon. I know my boss would have wanted me to wait a month or two if she knew it was for weight loss surgery. I am ready, and unwilling to wait. So, I said what I needed to say to get the time off. :( Feel awful about it though. I love my boss!

All things in good time!

greengoddess550
on 6/22/14 10:50 am

I know exactly how you feel.  My office is tight-knit too, but it is none of their business.  I'm more worried about my boss, but everyone is absolutely right - I have no obligation to divulge what kind of surgery it is.  So I will probably just mention I'm having surgery, I don't want anyone to freak out, but I will have to spend at least a week recovering at home.  I will probably just either have to go into negative leave or work extra hours to pay it off.  

wendypchef
on 6/21/14 11:08 pm

I did this just this past week. I emailed my boss and said that my husband and I are working towards weight loss surgery and that I will likely be out for a couple of weeks in Oct or Nov. Also that that is why I've had what may seem like a lot of appointments lately but that I am tracking my hours carefully and either making up the time or taking the appropriate sick or vacation time. He was fine with it and thanked me for letting him know. But, my situation is probably unusual in that I'm salary and travel a lot and so mysschedule is flexible.

DH & I sleeved Nov 19,2014. http://wholisticwoman.com

Amy K.
on 6/24/14 12:54 am - Tucson, AZ

I'm a teacher and on summer break, although I did managed to let it slip to another teacher that my daughter and I were both having surgery this summer so we'd be busy.  Daughter had tonsils out yesterday.   I work in a program where there's only 2 teachers, an office manager and an administrator.  I would have told my coworkers exactly what I was doing but a couple months ago the office manager, who is very opinionated, was very negative about any kind of WLS.  When asked what was going on I didn't want to tell the truth so I told them that after many years of taking NSAID's and anti-inflammatory drugs I needed some repair work done on my stomach. I feel really bad about lying and know that I should have had something else in mind if I was pushed.  OH well, whats done is done and I'll deal with all that later. 

greengoddess550
on 6/24/14 1:04 am

You shouldn't feel bad about lying.  It's a personal thing, this procedure, and it's hard when you know someone already has a negative opinion about it.  That's why I'm waiting til I know for sure I'm having the surgery before I tell my mom.  It's your body, and no one has the right to tell you what to do with it, but that doesn't make negative comments any easier to bear.  I think you did just fine :)  How's the healing coming, if I may ask?

Most Active