How Did You Tell Your Boss?

greengoddess550
on 6/20/14 6:46 am

I'm worried about talking to my boss about taking so much time off.  It's a sedentary job, and if I tell him I have to have surgery I'm sure he won't mind me working from home.  But I'm worried if I tell him what the surgery is for, he won't be as understanding.  Any thoughts?  How did you all tell your bosses?

jastypes
on 6/20/14 6:57 am - Croydon, PA

I still remember telling my bosses.  I am a secretary for 3 attorneys.  I just went in, sat down, and told them what I was doing!  I work for a pretty big firm, and they were awesome.  I took an entire 6 weeks off.  When I came back, I was refreshed, renewed, and ready to take on the world!  I had my surgery the end of May, and by that December, I had lost over 100 pounds, felt beautiful at the Christmas party, and enjoyed all the compliments.  I think my bosses were really, truly happy for me. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

White Dove
on 6/20/14 7:35 am - Warren, OH

I told my boss I was having weight loss surgery and would be gone for up to six weeks. 

It ended up that I was back in a week.  I had no complications, felt fine, had a desk job and was bored to death sitting home watching daytime TV.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

greengoddess550
on 6/20/14 7:40 am

That's kind of what I'm thinking.  A week after the surgery, then back to work.  My job is sedentary, so I'm not super worried about taking time off, but I can't afford too much time.

White Dove
on 6/20/14 7:50 am - Warren, OH

So share that plan and also let them know that you could have complications and may need to be off longer.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

poet_kelly
on 6/20/14 8:43 am - OH

You don't need to tell your boss what kind of surgery you are  having.  Just say "I will be having surgery and my doctor says I will need to be off X weeks."

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bette B.
on 6/20/14 11:56 pm

I thin it went something like, "I'm having weight loss surgery and I will be out for a week. Plan accordingly."

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Lisa167
on 6/21/14 1:01 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

I just told mine I was having survey. He gave the concerned look.  I said don't worry, nothing's wrong.  I just have to lay low for a little bit to recover, I'll be fine.  I should just need two weeks.  That was it.  No need to give more details.  He just said I hope you're ok and that everything goes well, etc.  We have a good relationship, but can keep it professional when we need to.

I don't see any reason to share more information unless you want to.

ce004995
on 6/21/14 2:31 pm - TX

I told my boss ahead of time that I was working toward having a gastric bypass. I told her I would need to take at least a few weeks off.

She told me a few years prior to that, several ladies at the office had it done all around the same time. She said she thought maybe there was a groupon special or something. Anyways, you are not required to tell anyone what the surgery is for. It is medically necessary so no need to make excuses as if you are getting a Brazilian butt lift.

Crystal M.
on 6/21/14 10:16 pm
VSG on 06/23/14
Most Active