6.9 HG ...

Felicia O'Connor
on 6/19/14 12:36 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

Anyone ever have to get a blood transfusion. Long story short, I didn't have health insurance for 3 yrs, just got it, and had work done. Now my HG is 6.9 and dr said I need a blood transfusion. A bit scared. In hospital now.

felicia

Felicia O'Connor
on 6/19/14 12:37 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

I am 5 yrs WLS.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 6/19/14 1:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Nope never needed a blood transfusion. I'm a little less than 2 months post op. Hope you get better soon. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Felicia O'Connor
on 6/19/14 2:55 pm - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

Thank you......they are bring a dr in...May have internal bleeding due to the surgery. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary....5 yrs out.....walk, eat right....confusedconfused

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/14 9:40 pm, edited 6/20/14 9:22 am

Sorry Felicia.  But I assume you had RNY? 

A lot of us post op RNY becomes anemic and need iron infusions.  That's why annual blood tests are critical to monitor what is going on.  

I am 6 years post op and in year 2 my iron dropped even with supplements. For another year I tried to increase oral iron but that did not work for me. So in a year 3 post op- I got iron infusions.  

That only lasted one year, the following year I needed another series.  That one gave me a nice iron, that lasted 2 years.  This year - my iron dropped again - not low enough for my HG to be affected - but unless I get extra iron - I may get depleted in a month or 6.,,

I am getting iron infusions this year., I had one and 3 more to go. 

Most docs don't know why we get so low...  

That seems to be very common in RNY or DS ...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

jastypes
on 6/19/14 10:42 pm - Croydon, PA

Hope you are doing better this morning.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

Felicia O'Connor
on 6/20/14 12:46 am - South Pasadena, CA
RNY on 02/09/09 with

Thanks for all the support. I'm feeling much better, I have energy. Need to figure this out. I will be paying more attention to this. I love this page. It helps us with support and helps us from not going crazy thinking of everything.

thanks everyone!

sp1209
on 6/20/14 8:57 am - AL

When mine was low I started taking Proferrin it is a heme iron. Took 2 a day for 3 months and it brought it up really good. Now I only take 1 a day. I also got my dr to give me prescription for the Proferrin Forte and that saved me quite a bit $$. Just what worked for me. You may want to research it. A really good thing about it is you don't have to worry about scheduling it hours away from other supplements. Hth

SusieOl
on 6/20/14 7:14 pm

2 days after my RNY surgery I lost 7 pints of blood. I was transferred to ICU and given 4 blood transfusions. The next day they did another surgery to find the source of the bleed. They never found it. The next day I lost another 2 pints and required more blood. They did a endoscopy and colonscopy and never found out what was going on. The active bleeding stopped however I did have aome old blood still coming out for two days. They finally released me from the hospital and I havent had any problems related to bleeding since. It is definitely scary. 

Most Active