Medicare???

LindaM62
on 6/18/14 6:53 am - Troy, IN

Has anyone gone through Medicare to have this surgery?  If so, what were the requirements?  I was just recently enrolled in Medicare and I'm wondering if Medicare requirements are different than Medicaids?  Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!

Linda

poet_kelly
on 6/18/14 7:46 am - OH

I had surgery about 5.5 years ago through Medicare.  The requirements were very simple - have a BMI of 40 or above or 35 and above with a comorbidity.  Have surgery at a Center of Excellence.  That was about it.  No pre-op supervised diet or anything like that.  The surgeon required a psych eval and a few other things pre-op.

Medicaid is a state program and the rules vary from state to state.  So yes, it may have different requirements.

And Medicare may have different requirements now, as my surgery was over five years ago.

Call 800-MEDICARE to get current, accurate information.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LindaM62
on 6/18/14 7:52 am - Troy, IN

Thank you, Kelly.  What exactly is (and how do I find) a Center of Excellence?

southernlady5464
on 6/18/14 8:57 pm

The Center of Excellence is no longer necessary: Medicare COE listing

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

SusieOl
on 6/18/14 4:25 pm

I had mine thru Medicare in March 2014. I had to take 3 nutrition classes, letter of medical necessity from primary care dr, psych eval, and list all the different diets ive been on in the past. You will have to pay $1,200 foe the hospital for your copay. Most Dr require lots of tests. I think mine required about 8. Didnt take very long from the time the Dr submitted it to Medicare before I got approval.

LindaM62
on 6/19/14 8:05 am - Troy, IN

Where did you have your surgery? I don't think I have a co-pay, at least that's what I understand from the info I read.

SusieOl
on 6/19/14 8:08 am

I had mine at University of Maryland hospital. Just make sure the hospital you go to accepts Medicare. You WILL have a co-pay if Medicare is your only insurance.

LindaM62
on 6/19/14 9:05 am - Troy, IN

Medicare is my primary, but I also have Medicaid. I've already seen my surgeon, and the hospital accepts both Medicaid and Medicare! I just don't want to have to go through the 6 mo dr supervised crap! I'm not obese because I "want" to be! I'm obese because I CANT lose it on my own!

SusieOl
on 6/19/14 9:07 am

I dont know what Medicaid requirements are. They might be different that Medicare.

jenn1469
on 6/21/14 6:14 am

just had my surgery a week ago and I have medicare. I was approved first time with bmi 37 with arthritis. I only had to get a diet from doctor sighned of 3 mos what I ate and psych eval.

Most Active