Doctor visit yesterday

Clarabel
on 6/18/14 4:16 am

Saw my doctor yesterday.  I am a type 2 diabetic for 5 years.  He actually asked me if I would consider weight loss surgery!  He suggested vertical sleeve gastrectomy in particular.  He said most people cannot sustain substantial weight loss over time.  I have lost 50 pounds 3 separate times.  I am close to an all time weight due to my tendency to use food as an antidepressant.  I am 61 years old now.  His patient experience has been almost all his diabetic patients became NOT diabetic after the surgery.  I guess I was surprised when he actually suggested it.

Clarabel

Tracy D.
on 6/18/14 4:33 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Clarabel - let me make one thing perfectly clear that your doctor didn't:  you will ALWAYS be a diabetic even if you get this surgery.  BUT you can be a diabetic in "remission", meaning that you control your glucose level with diet and exercise and don't ever have to take meds again.  You can live a normal life as long as you commit to a healthy, low carb lifestyle post-surgery.  

This miracle can happen for most people who aren't insulin dependent and have been Type 2 for a shorter amount of time like you.  That was my case and I went home from the surgery off ALL my diabetes meds.  I was taking 2000mg Metformin and 10mcg of Byetta twice a day.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Clarabel
on 6/18/14 5:03 am

Yes, I am aware that being diabetic is like an addict.  Can only be IN RECOVERY!!!

I do use Levemir insulin.  Insulin dependent isn't a term used so much anymore.  It was my doctor's choice to use based on his ideas.  His theory was to not KICK the pancreas all the time into producing more insulin, just give it!!  There are lots of oral drug choices and combos to use now.  I am an RN and remember that there were not so many choices in the past.  The theory was that insulin was your last resort if you FAILED with the oral drugs.  You were considered insulin dependent or non insulin dependent.  The line is much more blurry now.  It is wonderful to have all these choices.  It should lower complication rates (amputations, etc) a lot.

I am not put off by insulin, but sure would like to not take it and never worry about hypoglycemia.  I know diabetes will always be looming out there. 

Like most everyone, I am scared spitless about the concept of surgery and its potential complications.  His suggestion was the VSG.  Thanks.

Clarabel

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/18/14 5:10 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Might I also suggest you check out the sleeve board as you can get feedback from people who had the sleeve there. Just click forums up above and then under surgery type pick gastric sleeve.

Cathy W.
on 6/18/14 5:38 am

My Type 2 diabetes has been in remission since I had RNY surgery 13 years ago.  I've had some bumps in regain but still in remission.  I had been diagnosed with diabetes  for four years before I had surgery and was on a daytime med and night time medication....it has been so long ago that thankfully I don't even remember the medications! 

Check out the Sleeve forum if you haven't already. 

MsBatt
on 6/18/14 6:45 am

Yes, a LOT of people find their diabetes goes into remission after WLS. Losing weight in any way helps with managing diabetes, but WLS seems to give that a big kick-start.

But you need to do some research on the various forms of WLS. I don't have any numbers for the VSG/Sleeve, but with the RNY/gastric bypass it's about 85%. Again, I don't have numbers for the Sleeve, but a significant per centage of RNYers unfortunately see their diabetes return after about five, especially if they've regained some weight.

Then there's the DS/duodenal switch form of WLS. Better than 98% see total remission, and it seems to be permanent. Some doctors even use the word "cure".

Steffan467
on 6/19/14 12:48 am

Interesting, I did not know it went into remission.  I did know that most people are no longer on diabetic meds a short time after surgery.  Your doctor is right.  Most people will not keep up with there weight loss.  They might for a year but then you regain it.  Like you said you lost 50 lbs 3 different times.  I agree with the person who said to go to the sleeve forum.  You can get useful info there.  If you are really thinking of surgery I suggest you make an appointment with a good doctor.  He will have advice on what kind of surgery also.  I actually talked to two different ones.

Good luck

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

Most Active