Smoothies

Madamesarah1
on 6/19/14 7:43 am

Question- do smoothies go straight through RNY stomach? I am about to drink a 20oz smoothie with 30g of protien. I am

2 months  post op

thank you!

Sarah Howerton

poet_kelly
on 6/19/14 10:47 am - OH

Pretty much.  Like any other thick liquid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

basilmk
on 6/19/14 10:52 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Then, how is the protein from a shake absorbed if it slides right through?

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

poet_kelly
on 6/19/14 10:52 am - OH

Protein, like most nutrients, is not absorbed in the stomach or pouch.  It's absorbed in the small intestine.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

basilmk
on 6/19/14 10:54 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Thanks, Kelly...I always wondered about that!

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

poet_kelly
on 6/19/14 10:57 am - OH

If stuff was all absorbed in the pouch, that would mean I could eat all the ice cream I wanted and not gain any weight from it!  Since it's a slider food.

The stomach's job is mostly to mix chewed up food with various gastric juices that help break down the food for absorption.

The small intestine is where most nutrients, like protein and carbs and vitamins and stuff get absorbed.

The large intestine is where most liquid gets absorbed, before whatever is left from what you ate gets pushed out the  other end.

poet_kelly
on 6/19/14 10:59 am - OH

And that's the same reason you can drink with your vitamins and wash them right out of your pouch and still absorb them.  They get absorbed in the small intestine.

Most Active