One week post op and struggling

VSG_IV
on 6/17/14 10:27 am

Hey everyone! I'm new here so any advice would be great. I had a VSG a week ago from today (6/10/14) and I am struggling with getting in the recommended amounts of protein and water! I'm ALWAYS full :( I cant seem to finish a bottle of the ISOPURE clear, I get maybe a quarter way through it then cant stand it. Right now I am stuck with just the liquids, yogurt and such. I am going crazy! I'm pretty sure the lack of protein is the leading cause of my exhaustion too. When I drink my water I am too full for protein, when I drink my protein I am too full for water. How did you guys make it through?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

poet_kelly
on 6/17/14 12:11 pm - OH

Drink the protein.  That is a fluid as well as protein, so it's like a two-for-one deal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Steffan467
on 6/17/14 12:15 pm

I had the same problem.  Actually since I have been careful not to stretch my pouch out I still do.  The best way to do it is all though out the day.  Always have a bottle of water.  A sip here and sip there and you can make it.  The same with you protein.  A little bit often.  This isn't a three meals a day type of surgery.  You have to do a little several times a day.  In time it will change and you will be able to eat a little larger amounts less often.  Hang in there you will make it I promise.

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

armyofficerwife40
on 6/17/14 1:04 pm

I froze my isopryl in pop sickle makers and I ate that in between water. It was really good crushed up and eaten with a spoon. I had the sleeve in January.

diane48
on 6/17/14 3:37 pm
RNY on 05/07/13

I finally found that I could tolerate the Isopure if I diluted it first.  I drink about 1/3 bottle of water and fill the bottle up with the Isopure.  When I found I found Isopure pre-op I figured that I would have no problem at all but post op I couldn't stand it!  I just found that diluting it makes a abig difference.

Jiliana2
on 6/17/14 10:47 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Definitely drink the protein.

Protein shakes, either powders recommended by your surgeon, or the ready-to-drink stuff (e.g., Premier Protein) are amazing. I would mix up a protein shake, and take half of it to start, and sip, sip, sip. I could drink a cup or so over an hour or an hour and a half. And then I would grab the other portion of the protein shake and do the same.

Between protein shakes and unflavoured protein powder that I added to applesauce or yogourt, I managed to hit about 40-55g per day at one week.

Keep working at it. It DOES get better.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Cathy W.
on 6/18/14 2:04 am

Congrats on your surgery and your 1-week post-op.

For right now, focus on drinking your protein because that will get in your protein plus the fluids you need to.  Double win! 

Further out post-operatively, it will get better. 

VSG_IV
on 6/18/14 2:18 am

Thanks to all of you! I'm definitely more confident once I will be able to add more to my diet. I think I will also be trying Premier Protein shakes (much to my husbands chagrin) I like the idea of options because I don't know if I can drink the same flavor ISOPURE for two more weeks, their flavors are hard to handle. Give me all the positive vibes you've got and thanks again!

MsBatt
on 6/18/14 7:06 am

No, your leading cause of exhaustion is because you just had major surgery. (*grin*) Your body has enough protein stores to carry you for a little while. Right now, staying hydrated should be your main focus.

My surgeon followed the 30-60-90 rule regarding protein. My goal was to get 30 grams a day by 30 days post-op, 60 grams by 60 days, and so on. (I had the DS, so my ultimate protein goal was 125+ daily.)

jlgordo
on 6/18/14 12:10 pm

I had my VSG on 5/29/14 I just now am at the 4 week mark as of tomorrow! As of tomorrow I can start with my pureed foods. Ok, so this is what I am doing, I bought the Unjury protein, I cannot take or have any other kind, I get massive diarrhea, so I make my protein shake in the morning with crystal light pink lemonade it goes great with my Strawberry Sorbet Unjury protein and I make my 2 water bottles 20 fluid oz each and my shake is also 20 oz so that is my 60 oz of fluids and my protein allotment for the day. I also have to make up for the other 4oz of fluid so I suck on 2 sugar free popsicles through out the day. Like one of the posts that was written to you said, sip, sip, sip all day long. Yes that is what is filling you up while your new tiny tummy is healing! I have lost 34 pounds since May 22nd, ( I had to lose 6 ponds pre-surgery). Good luck and please keep posting... I have found this website as a wonderful tool to help me out!

Most Active