Secondary insurance that would cover Lap band surgery

needhelp43
on 6/17/14 9:53 am - Punta gorda, FL

I have insurance that has flat out denied any coverage for lap band surgery. I'm considering alternatives in finding secondary insurance that would cover or at least provide a discount rate for the procedure. Does anyone know where I can find some leads?   Thanks in advance ! 

Karen M.
on 6/17/14 11:59 am - Mississauga, Canada

No, sorry. Please do some reading about all the different types of weight loss surgery.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

needhelp43
on 6/18/14 9:39 am - Punta gorda, FL

I have, but they all say the same thing. So that doesn't do me much good except for wasting time.   

Karen M.
on 6/18/14 11:38 am - Mississauga, Canada

I was actually referring to reading about other types of surgery - RNY, DS, VSG - to be informed about all surgery types, not just lap band, prior to making a decision on which one to get insurance approval for. This is a major life decision, researching surgeries other than lap band is wise and certainly not a waste of time.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

poet_kelly
on 6/17/14 12:10 pm - OH

Many insurance companies no longer cover the band due to its high rate of complications and low rate of success.  How about considering a safer, more effective weight loss surgery instead?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

needhelp43
on 6/18/14 9:37 am - Punta gorda, FL

I don't know of any-  Would you have a suggestion? One of my co- workers had a lap band and she lost a ton of body mass.

Hislady
on 6/18/14 3:14 am - Vancouver, WA

The lap band is nicknamed the crapband for a reason, read up on better more effective surgeries. Not to mention private insurance is extremely expensive and you can't just sign up for a few months to get surgery. I used to have to pay over $1000 a month for private insurance and it didn't even cover bariatric surgery.

MsBatt
on 6/18/14 7:03 am

Does your insurance policy exclude weight-loss surgery, no matter what form? Many insurance companies are excluding specifically the Band because the re-operation rate is so appallingly high. The Band's manufacturer now admits that it's only intended to last for ten years at the most, so if you do get a Band be prepared for a second surgery later.

needhelp43
on 6/18/14 9:35 am - Punta gorda, FL

My insurance company doesn't even cover weight loss pills.  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/18/14 12:05 pm - OH

Many, if not most, insurance policies don't cover weight loss pills because the insurance companies know that they don't work, so it is not at all surprising that yours doesn't.

Unfortunately, no matter what kind of WLS you are looking for, it is rare (except in some special cases) for individual policies to cover WLS.  Generally -- but there ARE some exceptions, of course -- only group policies (through employers or state/federally sponsored programs like Medicare) cover WLS, so taking a job where the insurance plan covers it is the best option.  The problem, of course, is that you don't know until you accept the job what their insurance covers and doesn't cover unless you know someone who already works there.

Good luck with your search.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active