protein shakes and sugar substitutes

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/14 2:41 pm - warren, MI

I have not had surgery yet hopeful september but no date set yet.

However, I want to explore things now and try things before so I have things I like after.

I like healthy food veggies and such but I have never really had protein shakes and I hate every sugar substitute I have tried.

I need some sugar substitutes that dont leave a bad after taste (can you have honey after gastric bypass?)

Also, protein shakes that you can have after. I am not a big fan of chocolate but anything anyone thinks tastes good would be helpful so I have a starting point and can anyone tell me when researching this what I should look for in a protein shake and what I dont want in them?

MickeyDee
on 6/15/14 6:51 pm

Sugar is simply sugar, whether it's honey or maltose or dextrose or agave syrup.

Your taste for sweet will probably change post-op;  try stevia or Truvia. You won't have a lot of room for sweets, anyway. Watch out for sugar alcohols--they will give you horrible gas.

Your tastes will change for other foods, including protein shakes.  Don't buy big quantities.  Try the Sytrax website for their sample packs.  Look for whey Isolate proteins.  Other folks like the Walmart brands, everyone is different.

Get your chewable vitamins (recommend Centrum Chewables) , calcium citrate, Trader Joe's for B12 sublinguals, Vit D3 (dry).  Upcal D makes a powder which goes into a drink and dissolves quickly. 

Lock your scale away where you can't get on it everyday and freak yourself out when you hit the 3-week stall (and you will hit the 3-week stall)

Start walking gently;  don't kill yourself, just to the end of the block and back.  You can extend the distance and intensity as you progress.

basilmk
on 6/16/14 12:38 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

Hopefully, your surgeon will give you specific instructions as to what will work best for your type of surgery. If you haven't received that information yet, ask for it.

I received my booklet at my very first appointment and had time to become familiar with all the stages and had no surprises post op.

Look at the margins of this site. Usually you will find many of the manufacturers of protein shakes who will send you samples. Of course, what tastes good now might not be good post op. My favorite is the Unjury line.

Good luck with your journey.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Most Active