Day 5 Post-op.. Should I feel hungry!?

Mslippy
on 6/17/14 8:26 am
VSG on 06/12/14

Today is day five.  Although there are several things going on in my belly. I "think" I feel hungry. Maybe it is just all of the yummy food commercials on TV?  I am sticking to my liquid diet. There is NO way I will cheat. I have come this far and I am determined to suceed. Just curious if anyone else has felt this? 

Cathy W.
on 6/17/14 8:53 am

You already know what is going on because you shared you "think" you feel hungry.  You're experiencing head hunger.  Head hunger can be interpreted as physical hunger but it isn't.  As you become farther post-op, you'll need to distinguish the difference in physical hunger (physical cues) versus head hunger. 

Stay focused on what you've done for yourself by having surgery.  Channel surf or avoid commercials for food if they bother you.  Instead of looking at the food, focus on their marketing and how they try to suck you in.  You're stronger than surrendering to their marketing tricks.  Just say NO, and YES to your surgery and healthy lifestyle now.

Tracy D.
on 6/17/14 11:54 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It's not unusual for real hunger to take awhile to subside after post-VSG surgery.  So you could actually be experiencing some "real" hunger pangs or it could be acid that's being churned up.  Either way, continue to take your PPI and eat according to your plan and within a few weeks you shouldn't be having a lot of physical hunger signals at all.  For most of us those diminish greatly.  I still get them occasionally but it's nothing like what I had prior to surgery!  

And stop watching the food commercials - lol!  TV is a horrible trigger for head hunger and the surgery doesn't fix that ;-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Tereasa R.
on 6/18/14 4:30 am - Houston, TX
RNY on 05/29/14

I struggled tremendously with "head Hunger" my first 2 weeks. It was watching all the commercial and my family cooking and eating all around me. I would just go to my room and cry. BUT, it gets better! I'm 3 week post op tomorrow and feel so much better. I've learned to pay attention to my body to tell when I need to eat. I don't listen to my stomach. I start getting irritated and grouchy when it's time for me to put something in my stomach. And sometimes I feel a little light headedness and no energy. Then I'll eat something and I feel better. Once you move to the soft solid foods, you'll feel much better as you can have a bigger variety of foods.

Tereasa R.  5' 2" - HW: 269 / SW: 267 / CW: 184 / GW: 140

MsBatt
on 6/18/14 6:57 am

Hunger is natural and normal. You're taking in nothing but liquids. Your post-op hunger will probably be significantly less/different than your pre-op hunger, but you probably will experience it. Once you start eating solid foods you'll be better able to distinguish between "I need nutrients" and "I'd like to eat now."

jenn1469
on 6/21/14 6:17 am

I had my surgery on the 10th and I have to cook for family so hard. I don't feel hungry but smells so good. And yes every commercial is about food I was just telling my husband that.lol

Most Active