Checking things off the list!

Capegin
on 6/16/14 9:02 am

I had GREAT first visits with the nutritionist and the pulmonologist today!  The NUT completely validated what the surgeon said about my body fighting against me in my years of serious and dedicated weight loss efforts.  She thought WLS was a great option, really the ONLY option for my long term success.  That just completely boosted my confidence about pursuing surgery and helped me cut myself some slack about my past "failures!"  Now I just can't wait to get this show on the road!!

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 9:16 am

It is so nice to have that validation sometimes, especially when it comes to our decision about weight loss surgery.  Today is the beginning of your weight loss surgery journey. 

I'm really happy that they were kind and compassionate enough to help you stop beating yourself up about past failures.  I saw a doctor a couple of weeks ago that gave me grief about needing weight loss surgery.  I'm 13 year post-op.  Really?  Seriously?  You're telling me that from my WLS that long ago?  I don't consider that good patient care so I switched doctors.  The new one is very kind and, importantly, supportive and understanding. 

We need more health care providers that are supportive instead of giving grief about past struggles with our weight.  In the end, we already feel bad enough about past attempts and difficulties about losing weight.

Capegin
on 6/16/14 9:24 am, edited 6/16/14 9:24 am

I agree, Cathy!  When I first decided to get medical help with weight loss, I started with my PCP.  When in I tearfully told her about my experience on Biggest Loser and my years of ups and downs on WW, she asked, "Do you think you've really wanted it bad enough?"  SERIOUSLY? 

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 10:01 am

Oh my!  I'm even happier that you received the validation that you did today from your nutritionist and pulmonologist. 

I commend you for your restraint when that PCP said that to you.  LOL but true. 

All the best to you in your WLS journey!

burghblonde
on 6/17/14 3:31 am
RNY on 05/12/14

Congrats on this journey! I wouldn't call your past efforts "failures" but rather stepping stones or learning experiences. I have been there as well. People need to realize that this is not an easy way out, it is a tool in the battle, and regardless of what works for who...it's damn hard! All the best to you in making the decision to pursue success!! You got this!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Capegin
on 6/17/14 3:55 am

Thanks burghblonde!  Back at 'ya!  And not to worry; I use "failures" with sarcastic air quotes.  I'm banishing that mentality.  That would be like failing at using will power to wish away the flu.    Best wishes to you!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/17/14 5:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Congratulations! Getting through the process can be the worst part for a lot of people.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Nikipie_72
on 6/17/14 6:23 am - Canada

You got that right Grim!! It's the waiting that is the worst!!!  I vicariously live through the people on these forums, reading and learning while I wait my turn :)

Most Active