Intolerances

burghblonde
on 6/15/14 10:33 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

I go back on my full diet next week and was cleared to begin trying things little by little to monitor what I may not be able to tolerate as of yet. So far, nothing has been an issue for me. Last evening we had steak on the grill and I had about 6 nibble size pieces (approx 1 1/2 ounces) and was shocked that it went so smoothly. I am just waiting for the hammer to fall. I want to try a small bit of salad at some point this week and am very fearful of that one. 

I guess my question is, is it possible to do well now and then a couple of weeks down the road have something NOT agree with me? Are there some of you that have pretty much been able to tolerate almost anything? I will say that I chew my food so much it's a little obsessive, but that's only because I fear that something might get caught. Is it possible that this is what is helping me?

What were your biggest problem foods and did it change along the way?

Thanks!

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Grim_Traveller
on 6/15/14 10:59 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There's really more than one issue. An actual intolerance is something that would make you feel ill whenever you eat it, this week, next month, or next year. Failure to chew, or eating too fast, can always happen. So the steak that was fine yesterday could make you ill next week because you didn't chew well enough, or ate too fast, or it was too dry, or you ate too much. It won't necessarily mean you can't tolerate it.

What goes down well is often counterintuitive. People usually find steak easier than hamburger or chicken. Eggs are softer than steak, but a lot of people have a harder time with eggs. Bread is the last thing that will go down well for most people.

Of course, there are things that go down well that you shouldn't be trying, at least for a long time.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 12:38 am

My surgeon told me that just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should.  That can apply to steak or sugar.  It has been good advice that I've used for myself many times so I wanted to share it with you too.

I had RNY 13 years ago.  I still have a very difficult time with steak.  In fact, such a difficult time that I rarely eat it.  Rarely.  As with any foods, especially early post-op as you are, sometimes you'll have no problem and other times with the same food you'll have issues and avoid it for a few weeks. 

I suggest you be cautious.  It sounds as though you have the chew, chew, chew thing down which is great.  Other times for no reason, even after you've chewed well, something will get stuck.  Follow your surgeon's food protocol.  Progress to the foods that he/she tell you to. 

Even at 13 years post-op, if I eat too fast, I get things stuck and am miserable.  "Too fast" varies too. The same chicken breast that you prepared last night maybe tonight will be just a tad bit too dry and you'll get it stuck.  It becomes more predictable the further post-op you become. 

Tracy D.
on 6/16/14 12:57 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

If I were you I would hold off on that salad for awhile.  You're only 1 month out and according to most plans it would be too early for salad.  Besides, we are to be eating a protein forward diet and I would be surprised if you could get any salad in at all after you get in your necessary protein portion.  

I had a guy in my post-op group complaining how he couldn't eat any meat after he finished his salad.  Well "duh", dumbass!  You aren't supposed to be eating salad first; it's always protein first and then veggies IF you have room.  

What part of the salad is it that you want?  Lettuce?  Not worth it - useless filler unless it's super-dark leafy greens.  The other healthy veggies?  Probably need to be soft cooked for you at this stage and you'll only get a few bites in.  Dressing, croutons, etc.?  Useless filler with no nutritional value for us at this point.  The protein on the salad?  Pick that off and eat it and you'll probably be full.  

What I'm saying is that your tummy is very tiny now and you can't afford to be filling that valuable piece of real estate up with anything that isn't protein packed and dense with nutrition.  Salad typically doesn't fill the bill on that.  Although most of us have fooled ourselves for years that salads are "healthy".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

burghblonde
on 6/16/14 1:10 am
RNY on 05/12/14

I am definitely getting my protein in first. I actually want proteins more than anything right now, which is a great thing!

Right now I am just very much wanting some baby spinach with grilled chicken and balsamic. Not much spinach, just a little bit to curb my craving. As far as lettuce (like iceberg and even romaine) I never tend to go for those. Spinach, spring mixes, and kale are my go-tos.

It's weird because I thought bread and pasta would be the hardest things to stay away from. Although its early in the game, I am not having issues with those at all, oddly it's veggies that I am always wanting with my meat/proteins. Perhaps a little bit of spinach in a scrambled egg would be a better option, eh?

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Tracy D.
on 6/16/14 1:27 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't think it would hurt anything at all :-) 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Tracy D.
on 6/16/14 1:29 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't think it would hurt a thing :-) 

poet_kelly
on 6/16/14 1:59 am - OH

Most people can tolerate almost anything.  The only thing I can't tolerate is large amounts of sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/14 2:40 am, edited 6/16/14 2:41 am

I guess my question is, is it possible to do well now and then a couple of weeks down the road have something NOT agree with me? YES

Are there some of you that have pretty much been able to tolerate almost anything? YES (except raw carrots or bread or pasta) 

I will say that I chew my food so much it's a little obsessive, but that's only because I fear that something might get caught. Is it possible that this is what is helping me? YES and NO (no matter how well I try to chew carrots - they almost always "come back") 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active