Blood clots

ShadowWolf3
on 6/16/14 1:57 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Thanks I will mention it to her then.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

hollykim
on 6/16/14 4:46 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

certainly tell your surgeon,but also, part of your pre op blood work will be a PTT. It is a test that measures how quickly your blood clots. This is the info you surgeon will use to determine what you will need in the way of blood thinners etc. 

also,plan to walk quickly and often as soon after your surgery as possible,even if it hurts. Moving around is the surest way to keep blood clots from forming due to. Inactivity. The blood can't clot as well when it is being pumped as it can when you are at rest. 

Gl

ShadowWolf3
on 6/16/14 6:04 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

Thanks!  I figure it would be part of the blood work but was not sure if too high of vitamin K would show up in the blood work.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

deartiara
on 6/16/14 6:51 am - Seattle

I had a blood clot in my lung about 3 years ago and have been using Lovenox injections every 12 hours, since. I had WLS on March 18, 2014. I was immediately put on blood thinners, following surgery. I did have a 2nd blood clot that decided to form around my intestines. The doctors removed the clot (on my intestines) and I have been living a very full and happy life, every since. Prior to surgery, I worried about dying of a blood clot on a regular basis. I was stressed over the fact that I was not able to run like I would need to circulate the blood enough, due to my weight. I was "overall" a pretty active young lady, before surgery. I WALKED 5k's on a regular basis. I swam with my kids. I hiked the Torrey Pines mountains at least once a week. Ate decently healthy. But, was able to exercise on a daily/regular basis. Then with the amount of weight I had on my body, doing strenuous 5k's without training properly would only cause further injury. Therefore putting me out of commission for long periods of time. SORRY ABOUT THE RANT.

Back to the clot- I am currently, still taking blood thinner. I have had WLS. I LOVE my new life. Yes, people die from blood clots. However, more people die from complications of being obese. Heart  disease, diabetes, etc. I know with my body feeling as good as it does now, the blood clot will have a hard time trying to catch up to me. I am too busy having fun, parking in the far away parking spaces, swimming with the dolphins in the ocean, walking on the treadmill while watching t.v., and running back and forth to the Goodwill to donate all my lose fitting clothing. So, if the clot kills me now... who cares I have gotten more out of life in the past few months than a lot of people have in a life time. 

Have your surgery and tell those people with their camping stories, that you have already made your decision and you appreciate their concern. However, you choose to not obsess over the negative. You have more important things to worry about, like buying cute little vitamin organizers, and a fun nail polish for that moment that you realize you can comfortably paint your own toes, or choosing the perfect reusable water bottle, or learning how to take your clothing in when it's starts to fall off, or getting a pretty scale (maybe even one that speaks), or finding the right support group for after surgery, or stalking the cute workout clothes/shoes, making a list of all the things that you would like to do once you have lost a certain amount of weight, booking a flight and sitting in the middle, I could go on and on. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/14 11:22 am - OH

I would call your friends' "bluffs" and ask them for the names of the people who allegedly died from blood clots after WLS. My guess is that they will stammer and stutter rather than offer a name right off the bat because the statistics just don't support the likelihood that you have TWO friends who BOTH know someone who died from blood clots after WLS (unless, perhaps, they both know the same person who died).

People who are MO or SMO are already at greater risk for clots than people of normal weight, and everyone who has any kind of surgery or is even in bed sick for an extended period of time is at a slightly higher risk for clots than people who are up moving around, but every surgeon I have ever heard of takes the standard precautions of getting people up and moving ASAP after surgery, use of compression socks or a sequential compression device, and anticoagulents (heparin, Lovenox, etc. injections (or a dose or two in the IV) post-op.

Don't worry yourself with (likely) fictitious horror stories. 

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ShadowWolf3
on 6/16/14 11:25 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I think they are wrong about it being blood clots also.  The one girl worked in the hospital that it happened in and it was two nurses she knew that died.  She said blood clot but I think it was something else because she said it happened during surgery for the one.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/14 11:41 am - OH

Probably.  Keep in mind, too, that some people who are SMO also already have heart problems, etc. which make those individuals more likely to die during or after any kind of surgery.

Even with considerations like that, the death rate from WLS isn't any higher than for any other kind of surgery.  You will do fine!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active