Blood clots

ShadowWolf3
on 6/15/14 3:17 pm - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I've had two friends tell me they had friends die from gastric bypass surgery due to blood clots. They keep telling not to have the surgery. I told them I'm having the VSG done they still wish I wouldn't do and so has a few other's.

Now my question is I don't donate blood because my blood clots when the bag is only 1/4th full and they can't get to start again.  So my mom thinks I should tell my surgeon that my blood clots quickly. Do you think I should mention this to my surgeon? Or do they give you blood thinners after surgery to prevent blood clots?

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

HW:450, Consult W:371, SW:353

The Salty Hag
on 6/15/14 10:02 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes, mention it. I'm honestly not sure how big of a deal it might be during surgery, but it's worth mentioning, I would venture to guess.

I had a superficial blood clot after I had a c-section 13 years ago. I always mention it to any health care professional when asked. I was given meds while in the hospital after my RNY to help prevent any blood clots. My surgeon orders post-surgery shots of a blood thinner for all of his patients, I believe. I was also put in those pressurized booties. 

Definitely ask your surgeon about what his team/the hospital's protocol is regarding blood clots and their prevention of such. 

Since I was at an increased risk, my butt was out of bed and walking as soon as they told me I was allowed to do so. I wasn't taking ANY chances. 

Hope this helps. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

ShadowWolf3
on 6/16/14 1:47 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

She did mention that I would be wearing the pressurized boots.  I will definitely tell her then.  Thanks.

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach.- Benjamin Mays

burghblonde
on 6/15/14 10:11 pm
RNY on 05/12/14

Definitely mention it to your surgeon and stress that it is a large concern of yours. I would think that most surgeons would give you blood thinners post op as a precaution. I had heparin shots in the hospital.

Never Sell Out On Your Heart 

~ Heather~

Grim_Traveller
on 6/15/14 11:08 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Audrey had great advice. I have heard of some programs that give all of their patients a prescription for blood thinner injections at home for several days after surgery. But the best thing you can do, you can do yourself. By walking often, you will do yourself a world of good.

I would also stop listening to your friends. It seems like everyone knows someone who died because of WLS, and the fact is, it just doesn't happen often enough for that to be true. Everyone loves a horror story. The fact is, the surgery saves a lot of lives, people that were dying a slow agonizing death from obesity. I was happy to take the very small risk that surgery held.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ShadowWolf3
on 6/16/14 1:56 am - OH
VSG on 03/19/15

I had already decided to ignore their horror stories because I'm tired of people telling me how to live my life that's it's time for me to do what is right for me.  I did ask the surgeon if she has ever had anyone die on her in the 14 years she has been doing this she said "no." 

I'm know I picked a good surgeon since she is the director also so I would think I was in good hands. I will tell her about the blood clotting though today in a email.

Thanks everyone.

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/14 2:39 am

Grim has some good advice.

Cathy W.
on 6/16/14 12:24 am

I agree with everyone that has replied to you, especially Grim Traveller's comments about listening to other people's horror stories about WLS. 

As with any surgery, there are risks.  There are even more risks of living with morbid obesity and our co-morbid conditions. 

People die in plane accidents but compared to all of the thousands of flights that occur weekly, it is a very small percentage.  That doesn't stop me from flying.  Same is true with WLS.  Thank them for their concern but make your own decision and be an advocate for your own best health.

basilmk
on 6/16/14 12:31 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I had had many surgeries before my rny and never knew that I had a condition that gave me a higher risk of blod clots.  Part of my surgeon's thorough pre op testing included a test for this obscure condition and I was prescribed a series of injections that I gave myself for 20 days.

What scares me is the fact that all of my previous surgeons had never run this test before.

you should tell your surgeon ANYTHING that concers you. You are in a partnership with him and you, too, have responsibilities to give him all the information he needs for a safe and successful surgery.  

Remember all those pages of questions they have you fill out? They are trying to get as much information as possible about your health ahead of time.

Don't hesitate to ask questions. For every appointment I ever have with any doctor, I go in with a list. No matter how trivial, they always answer my questions and concerns and I am informed and can make better decisions.

I was told the same gloom and doom stories but know that things have changed in the WLS area. I am five months out and have lost 91 pounds. I would do this agin in a heartbeat...even if it meant giving myself injections again ;).

Good luck and keep us posted.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Tracy D.
on 6/16/14 12:58 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

They do give you blood thinners but I'd still mention it to my doctor.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active