Best friend had weight loss surgery...losing too much weight

tenngarden
on 6/15/14 11:37 am

Absolutely agree again. Have just done that as she just denied having any issues. It's now in hers and her family's hands. Thank u all for the advice and the best of luck to everyone undergoing your new journey.

MsBatt
on 6/16/14 8:27 am

About the best thing you could do is give her a link to this site and let her talk to other WLS people.

Hislady
on 6/15/14 12:01 pm - Vancouver, WA

If she is anywhere between 5'2"and 5'10" she has a normal BMI, granted BMI's aren't always a good tool but they do give a fair average of proportion. She would have to be 5'11" at that weight to even be considered under weight. At 5' she would still be considered obese. So I think it has more to do with others perspective than hers. I also agree that there is most likely a mental component here that needs to be dealt with more than the physical.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/15/14 8:37 pm - UK

I am going to assume she has a band because to the best of my knowledge there is nothing which is "like the band" and which came out in the last couple of years! I am banded myself. I do wonder if it was the sleeve. That isn't "like the band" but it has the same effect of restricting intake. It isn't new but it's increase in popularity is relatively recent. 

first of all, 133 may not be too low if she is not tall.  I am 5' 4", had my surgery at age 56, got to 139 and looked thin. But it was only because at that age having lost weight I began to look wrinkled and gaunt. I was nowhere near underweight, in fact my BMI was in the upper half of "normal". Everyone who knew me large told me I was too thin, even people who were thinner than I was, it was all about perception . 

Secondly, she should be eating more. The band should never physically prevent us eating; if it does, there is too much saline and she needs some removing, if she has not had saline added, there still may be some in as many surgeons put some in during the operation. 

Her food choices may not be helping. Doughy foods like English muffins can form a ball when they are swallowed. This makes you feel uncomfortable and prevents further eating. She should start every meL with protein, then veg and then, if room, carbs. A typical meal in the losing phases might be a small ( moist) chicken breast, a tablespoon of carrots and a small new potato, eaten in that order. 

If her band is too tight, failure to have saline removed can cause very serious long term problems. 

But she is an adult! If she is defensive and doesn't want help, there's nothing you can do!

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Steffan467
on 6/16/14 4:04 am

I am on the other side of the fence.  I was in your best friends shoes.  I was down to 104.  Be supportive of her and quit telling her she looks to thin.  Did you ever tell her she looked perfect at that weight?   I am sorry but people like you burn my butt.  After a time your body will go to a natural weight.  Let her doctor tell her what he thinks.  You are there to be her friend not her doctor.  The more you nag the more she is going to get irritated and lose.  Knock it off.  She will find a happy medium.  I have been at 123 for the last 4 or 5 years give or take.  I will tell you when people talked to me like you do her it made them look jealous.  It made me want to eat less.  Are you overweight.  I did notice the people who thought I was too this were the ones that had a little to loose themselves.

Tell her how good she looks.  Take pictures of the two of you together.  If she thinks she looks to thin she will see it.  Sorry if I sound harsh but I put up with a lot of that when I was going through weight loss.

Now, people tell me I am tiny but nobody ever says you need to gain weight.  I wear a size 4.  To thin for you I am sure.  You are about to lose a good friend.

Look at my pictures now.  The one in my avitar I was too thin but I look good for what I started with now and my hubby would say the same.  If you look at my blog you will see more recent photos.

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

Steffan467
on 6/16/14 6:25 am

You probably won't read this post because I have probably made you mad.  I can tell you why she didn't tell anyone that she was having the surgery.  Read my blog what I went through when people found out  I was having the surgery.  I went through hell and back.   Although most of the people with opinions were overweight.  My own mother called everyone in my life to try to talk me out of it.  I did the surgery for the same reason.  HEALTH.  You do not have any idea what people who tell they are having the surgery go through.  You can lose it just eat less.  You are taking the easy way out.  Start exercising and you will lose weight.  I was like her very immobile.....  I could do hardly anything.   I ate very little and continued to gain weight.  I am sure she didn't want to hear it from people, she didn't want to worry people.  I can eat very little at a time.  Although I eat 5 times a day at times.  I saw someone saying she weighed 133.  Well I am 5 2 and weigh 123.  Look at my blog you will see a recent photo of me and I don't look sickly.  You said you didn't know what kind of surgery she had and then you said you didn't know if they tightened the band.  Well not all surgeries have a band to tighten.  QUIT just QUIT.  Be supportive and not a nag.  You friend is going through a lot of what a few people did to me.  All it did was make me mad, want to cry and dislike the people who thought thet were her doctor.  Folks get ready this if you are preparing to have surgery.  Most people run into people like this.  It is seldom that everyone in you life will support your decision.  I am thankful, my children, and my husband did.  My best friend was even kind when I was too thin.  She never said a word until I said I thought I was getting too thin she said maybe you should gain a little.  It isn't easy dealing with the people in your life when you do this. 

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

Most Active