Cold...all the time

luvbskts
on 6/14/14 11:47 pm

I am freezing all of the time.  My thyroid is good.  I'm guessing it's my body adjusting to losing 80lbs.  Has anyone else had this and how long does it last?

56sunShine14
on 6/15/14 12:52 am

After I got the Lap Band, I lost 80 pounds.  Although it took almost 2 years due to not getting good restriction, the weight loss and surgery still caused me to get cold faster and remain cold longer.  I am normally a very warm person but after having both knees replaced I realized that most surgeries will cause this.  Your body is a bit messed p after a surgery and it takes time to reset itself.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Kate -True Brit
on 6/15/14 2:53 am - UK

Took me about four years after losing all my excess weight to stop shivering at the first sign of cold weather or good air conditioning!  For the first tme in my life, I bought an electric blanket, started wearing socks in bed, stayed in winter clothes late in the year.  

It's a bit better now! But only a bit!

All that insulating blubber gone! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Cunning_Pam
on 6/15/14 3:36 am
RNY on 12/18/13

All I know is that my husbeast calls me his "little lizard" now. I used to be warm, hot even, all the time. Now I'm like ice most of the time, and seek out heat sources like a basking reptile. My favorite thing to do is sit in the sun for about 20 minutes now, before I would have actively avoided the sun. It's crazy! The good news is that it's easier to put layers on to get warm than it was to take things off before surgery. 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Lori W.
on 6/16/14 5:04 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

Yep! This has always been my motto. Although I still haven't reached the cold stage - I'm always too hot. I tell anyone - when they say it's too cold - it's easy to add layers, you can only take so many clothes off in public.

Tracy D.
on 6/16/14 1:02 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My husband and I (we've both had the surgery) have experienced this too.  I swear to god last winter was the most freezing ASS cold winter of all time!  Even though it's summer my hubby is wrapping up in blankets on the couch - lol!  It's the lack of body fat and the low, low carb diets we are eating.  Carbs are quickly turned to energy ie heat.  Protein takes a loooooong time to be converted to energy/heat.  

Get used to it - I'm over a year out and it's not changing.  But boy, if I do a meal with high carbs in it I heat up real fast! ;-)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Steffan467
on 6/16/14 4:30 am

Yes, I am always cold.  My blood pressure is fine.  Everything else is fine.  You have less insulation now dear.  When you had 80 lbs of blubber that kept your warm.  Wear a cute jacket and be proud as can be you came this far.  My surgery was around 8 years ago and I stilll am cold often.  But I am at my ideal weight so I will wear a jacket and smile.  :)  You do the same.  How close are you to goal?

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

Steffan467
on 6/16/14 6:07 am

Yes, I am always cold.  My blood pressure is fine.  Everything else is fine.  You have less insulation now dear.  When you had 80 lbs of blubber that kept your warm.  Wear a cute jacket and be proud as can be you came this far.  My surgery was around 8 years ago and I stilll am cold often.  But I am at my ideal weight so I will wear a jacket and smile.  :)  You do the same.  How close are you to goal?

Brenda

223/112/123  11 lbs under goal.  Normal weight.  My blog shows from the beginning of my journey  http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/
I have Lost a Whole Josh
Ilostajosh2.jpg picture by Steffan6699      \ http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/steffan467/blog_page,9/

MsBatt
on 6/16/14 8:28 am

Well, I'm 10.5 years out and my feet freeze ALL THE TIME. It's summer, I live in the South, and today I'm wearing shorts, t-shirt, and WOOL SOCKS.

MsBatt
on 6/16/14 8:31 am

Oh, and just wait until you hit menopause. Putting on and taking off layers of clothing will become an aerobic exercise. (*grin*)

Most Active