Just learned my Employer is changing to an Insurance Provider who will allow WLS...What...

msladykris
on 6/13/14 9:15 pm - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

shord123
on 6/14/14 3:39 am

Make sure your employer has not excluded weight loss. I had Cigna insurance prior to Cigna acquiring the company I work for and it was excluded. Now that Cigna owns my company it is included. It is all dependent on what your employer decides to include in their policy. Good luck. I hope you get your surgery. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/14/14 9:25 am - OH

As the others have said, be sure that YOUR employer's coverage with Cigna will include WLS.  It isn't like there is just one Cigna insurance plan or that their plans all cover the same things (and if your employer excluded it before, they may very well exclude it now in order to save money).

Once you have verified that WLS is covered, ask what the requirements are and then contact a surgeon's office to find out what THEIR requirements are (and set up whatever first appointment they require).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

msladykris
on 6/14/14 2:37 pm - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15

My boss, who is the director of HR told me that it is included this time. Last time w/ anthem it was excluded.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/14/14 10:27 pm

Before you anything - make sure you get that in writing. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

SuzinDallas
on 6/14/14 12:11 pm

Does the provider cover WLS or the actual policy you'll be on cover it. There's a big difference as most insurance companies will cover WLS but it's the actual policy employers or individuals choose that limits the actual procedure coverage.

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

msladykris
on 6/14/14 2:34 pm - Indianapolis, IN
DS on 03/25/15

Hi! My employer told me that it is included. It won't start until July 1st so I will check and make sure.

SuzinDallas
on 6/16/14 5:13 am

You should be ok then.

I'd see if you can Google and figure out what they typically require.  I switched insurance companies in Jan.  In Dec I did the research and found online somewhere a list of what the company typical requires and went ahead and started getting all that stuff together.  Medical records, I started Weigh****chers because the insurance site said they may require monitored diet but that Weigh****chers would work.  Etc.  Then I went ahead and made the appointment with my surgeon-but I made it for 3 months after my policy went into effect-giving me more time on the Weigh****chers.  

When I finally got into my Dr's office I was fairly well informed about what they needed and just needed specific numbers on my out of pocket.  I had my appointment on a Wednesday, met the Dr's requirements by that Thursday (thanks to the Weigh****chers and me having my medical records ready) and had my approval by the next Wednesday-my surgery date was set that same day.

Good luck!!

Revision from Lap-Band to RNY May 2014.  

Revision Consultation: 326   Day of Surgery: 310   Current: 250   Goal: 150

KAYKAY2
on 6/19/14 6:35 am

check to make sure there is no waiting period. my coworker had  to wait for two years after she was on our insurance, but we have united health care so check to make sure no waiting period.....

Most Active