RNY & Diverticulitis Questions???

internetnut
on 6/11/14 11:33 pm - elmira, NY

I posted this several days ago in the RNY section. Over 100 views but no responses. Question anyone that's had RNY and had a Diverticulitis flair? I'm full of questions about eating after the flair? Thanks christine

Cathy W.
on 6/12/14 1:12 am

Hi Christine,

I know of some RNY'ers that have had difficulties with Diverticulitis.  I haven't heard of Diverticulitis being an actual cause from having RNY.  Our nutritional intake changes from having RNY but we still need to have sufficient in our diet.  Have you talked with your surgeon and/or nutritionist? 

From what I know (and you probably already know), it is important to eat fiber-rich foods such as apples, pears, prunes, squash, spinach and beans for Diverticulitis.  Avoid nuts or foods with nuts (such as strawberrries) and corn.  I take Metamucil capsules myself since having RNY.  Some form of psyllium or methylcellulose probably would be good for Diverticulitis too.

Cathy

internetnut
on 6/12/14 1:22 am - elmira, NY

Thank you for your response. I believe mine became flared up due to stress and gastroenteritis. My biggest question is now eating. Currently my Doctor said stay on Low Fiber until my intestines are calmed back down. My recent diet has been basic chicken and pork. Cooked veggies and fruits. I worry about protein intake. Morning's I have no desire to eat. Around noon I can tolerate Cream of Wheat. But I'm finding my previous to surgery low blood sugar attacks seem to be returning. Finished meds a week ago and pockets are healed. But still having cramps, mild pains and no desire to eat morning's. I really would like to know what do other GBP due when we have these issues? Thanks christine  

QoftheU
on 6/12/14 4:29 pm - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13

Oh boy - can I ever help you here!

First off, you MUST eat protein.  While I was recovering (chronic constipation caused my Diver... I now have that under control), my doc said protein shakes and mild mild food with NO fiber.  And if you don't eat protein in the morning, it's really hard to catch up and not feel crappy all day.  So that might be contributing.

It took about four weeks after I finished the meds to feel really better.

Good luck - it's a ***** isn't it?

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

ceemree
on 6/25/14 9:31 am
RNY on 01/07/14

I had a bout of diverticulitis a year ago and had no problems since.  Well that was until today.  I am 5 months post-op and have had a lot of problems with constipation.  Today I had that tell tale aching on my left side.  Now I am worried because I have been eating strawberries non-stop.   I also have hit a stall in my weight loss.  I wonder if I am suffering from constipation and the seeds from the berries are in there festering!  What are some of the ways we can get fiber in and stay on plan?   It's hard to give up precious calories needed for protein. It's weird that this discussion has never come up in my support group and also not in pre-op education and it's one of the most discussed topic on the forum.

HW 232 Preop 215 CW 142 GW 134

Most Active