RNY vs Sleeve: Better Option?

dancerchick06
on 6/11/14 11:12 am
RNY on 01/07/15

I have been researching RNY for so long and my doctor told me that Sleeve might be a better option.  I have PCOS and what I have read, RNY people have the most success with making symptoms go dormant and boosted fertility.  I guess my question is, which have you had success with and anyone with PCOS out there that have had either?

Thank you in advance,

-S

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/12/14 4:40 pm

I have/had PCOS. I chose DS, and if you have PCOS and any metabolic issues, you should research it too. It's the best for dealing with those, as well as most effective for getting the excess weight off, keeping it off, and resolving co-morbs. Your doctor probably doesn't do it, which is why he/she didn't mention it.

dancerchick06
on 6/13/14 1:22 pm
RNY on 01/07/15

No, unfortunately he doesn't do DS.  I was thinking the metabolic issue would be helped by RNY.  I know the Sleeve wouldn't change that as much.  I still think I am going for RNY; I haven't gotten any other conflicting information about it and for the sleeve. 

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/13/14 2:36 pm

The RNY will not be as good for metabolic issues as DS. If it had to be between the RNY and sleeve, weight loss is about the same between those two, but with the sleeve (or DS) you keep your own pyloric valve, which avoids RNY issues like dumping or reactive hypoglycemia, and with RNY you will never be able to take NSAIDs again for pain. I don't need them too much now, except for pms and occasional migraines, but when I'm older I don't want to be unable to take things for arthritis. 

Most Active