Drinking Wine

wertzpa
on 6/13/14 7:57 am - Round Rock, TX

I'm over 3 years out from GBS.  I've started having about 8 oz of white wine at night and have gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks!!  Is this normal?

Amy R.
on 6/13/14 8:27 am

Alcohol is pure calories with absolutely NO nutritional value. 

Is it possible to gain ten pounds in two weeks?  I suppose.  More likely though, you've probably actually gained only part of that.  Alcohol also causes fluid retention and bloating in many people so part of the ten pounds is possibly fluid.

You can do a quick calculation that will give you more of a picture.  Take the calories in your 8oz of wine and multiply them by 14 (2 weeks = 14 days).  To gain a pound of real weight, you have to consume 3,500 calories more than you expend.  I haven't checked the calories in wine for awhile - but if  you run the numbers you'll get a better idea of how much (if any)  you've actually gained.

Just a note:  if you've just began drinking basically two glasses of wine per night you may want to examine what has triggered that behavior.  It's not a LOT of alcohol, but we post-ops are so succeptible (sp?) to alcohol that it's pretty important to understand our behaviors with regards to drinking on a regular basis,  much less on a daily one. 

I'm not judging - I have a glass of wine now and then myself - just wanting to give you a heads up in case you hadn't already heard or researched cross-addiction.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/13/14 11:58 pm

I gain weight if I drink.  Wine is not only an additional calories but diert tyo alcohol and acids - it can help us digest and absorb more calories from our food. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 6/14/14 1:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Compare it to drinking a can of full-sugar soda everyday.  It's empty calories.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

JenniPenny
on 6/14/14 6:46 am - MN

no, it's not normal. It's pretty hard to gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks from food or wine. You'ld have to eat an enormous amount of calories to gain that. Is it a monthly thing or water weight? Check with your doc

if you're concerned. Stick to one glass of wine per night (about 4 ounces) and see if that works better for you. We can overdo it -so check your intake during the day.

Jen 13 yrs post op RNY

Tracy D.
on 6/16/14 3:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Things like alcohol and sugar tend to set up inflammatory responses in your body.  And when your body gets inflamed it tries to "cool down" by hanging on to water - desperately!   I'm ultra-sensitive to sugar and artificial sweeteners.  I can have a perfect food day but if I have something with a little sugar or artificial sweetener in it my weight will go up the next day, guaranteed.  

I'm guessing if you cut out the wine that you'll drop those pounds pretty fast.  By the way, 4 oz. of wine is considered a "drink" so your 8 oz. is two drinks per night.  And the risk for cirrhosis of the liver for woman becomes significant at 2 drinks per day.  I know - totally not fair.  Why the risk?  Because woman are cursed with delicate livers and systems that just don't handle booze like men.  And we suffer the consequences.  So although your little glass of wine is in no danger of making you an alcoholic, your liver over time will behave like you're an alcoholic...and all on only 8 oz. of wine a day.  

Something to thing about...  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

wertzpa
on 6/19/14 10:17 am - Round Rock, TX

Thanks for the info.  I never realized that 4 oz is a glass of wine.  Anyway, I fell off the wagon for 2 weeks and I'm back on it again.  I've lost 3 pounds, hoping the rest comes off fairly quick!  Also, I drink several cups of coffee everyday - sweetened with the yellow packets.    If I use sugar, I would gain weight.  What do you suggest?  I have 30 pounds to go to ideal weight.  Starting Weigh****chers as soon as I return home from travel next week.  Thanks for any info or suggestions.  - Patty

Patty

Tracy D.
on 6/19/14 11:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Wean yourself off of it.  Start cutting back gradually.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active