Post op food

Julieju375
on 6/11/14 11:12 pm - United Kingdom

Hello ;-) I have been reading items on this site for ages as we have nothing like this in England. I have my sleeve operation booked for 21st June   I am on a milk diet - 2 pints of skimmed milk and 3 yogurts per day. Day 6!! My husband wants to make me tiny pots of food for when I return home. Puréed food for 2 to 3 weeks then soft food for 4 weeks. As eating will be hard I need ideas on what are the best? Thank you very much for your help :-)  getting concerned about the operation now !

Cathy W.
on 6/12/14 1:31 am

Congrats on your upcoming surgery date.  It'll be here before you know it.  Your husband is so sweet.  It is good that you're thinking ahead.  That is a lot of dairy to eat each day. 

Your surgeon should have a dietary protocol that he/she wants you to follow after your surgery.  Ask for it or their recommendations.

When I reached the puree stage, I ate foods that were easy to blend.  I remember eating ground chicken, beans, egg whites, plain yogurt (preferably Greek yogurt for the higher protein), cottage cheese.  I did best with the ground chicken blended with some broth, beans with a bit of water to thin them out and eggs.  My favorite was ground chicken and broth. 

Let us know how you're doing before and after your surgery.

Julieju375
on 6/12/14 1:41 am - United Kingdom

Hello :-). It is sooooo much dairy! But they insist it ok. I will do anything to get the op :-). I did ask about the purée diet which they start you on straight away they said anything you fancy. Hence why I asked on the site. But I will note down your suggestions and get hubby to give them a bash :-). Thank you fir your reply. Take care xx

Cathy W.
on 6/12/14 1:51 am

After I replied to your post, it got me thinking about my early days.  The chicken and broth were so satisfying to me.  I ate so few beans that my husband bought me the small sides of beans (no cheese or sauce) at Taco Bell.  LOL but to this day, Taco Bell beans are a comfort food to me. 

I think the chicken and broth were good because they were warm and felt good in my pouch. 

Best regards to you and your supportive hubby.

Julieju375
on 6/12/14 6:59 am - United Kingdom

That's a great help :-) hubby is off at the week end and he is going to crack on   Good old boy. Looking forward to sampling :-). Thank you 

jenorama
on 6/12/14 4:17 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

Have your husband check out The World According to Eggface and Bariatric Foodie.  Both of the sites are packed full of recipes for just about all stages of the post-op life.  Both of the ladies have had RNY, but both RNY and VSG have similar food philosophies and I think your husband can find a lot of ideas for you.  Both of the sites are US-based, so some measurement conversions will be necessary.  Good luck to you!  :D

Jen

Julieju375
on 6/12/14 7:01 am - United Kingdom

Thank you Jen :-) I have told him. Thank you xx

Most Active