Deciding between Sleeve and RNY. I need more advice/ info

Kalliope0705
on 6/11/14 1:34 pm

So, I have just completed my psychological evaluation. Soon, it will be time for me to choose my surgery, by-pass or sleeve. I'm wondering if a few of you might share what led you to choose one over the other. Or, if you are having/ have had a sleeve to bypass revision, why? What would you do differently?

Tracy D.
on 6/11/14 11:59 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I chose the sleeve for the following reasons: 

- Less invasive surgery, less time under anesthesia (I am very sensitive to it).  I was in-and-out of the operating room in under 40 minutes 

- Quicker recovery time, but I also had no complications

- No malabsorption issues of RNY or DS; malabsorption requires you to take lots of extra vitamins 

- Wanted to still be able to take NSAIDs when needed 

For all those reasons I chose the sleeve and I wouldn't have done anything differently.  Other than gotten the surgery sooner! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 6/12/14 9:10 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you're unsure which surgery to choose, I'd suggest speaking to your surgeon. S/he may have good insights on your particular medical situation and good reasons to suggest one procedure over the other.

I had the sleeve, and here are the big reasons why I personally went that route:

• I have bipolar and take medication to keep my mental health stable. I don't want to take any risk with those medications being absorbed incorrectly or not at all.
  • The sleeve is a less-complicated surgery to perform with fewer risks (per my surgeon), yet the results are nearly as good.
  • VSG is more recommended for "grazers" who find themselves eating often, which I do, because of the reduction in grehlin and affect on hunger hormones.
  • RNY is known for having an immediate effect on diabetes and is often suggested as the best choice to help that, but I don't have any blood sugar issues so that's a moot point.
  • Tylenol and asprin don't do squat for me, and opiate painkillers (vicodin, etc.) are unreliable at best. NSAIDs are pretty much the only thing that will help with headaches and other pain, so going without them forever is not really an option for me.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

southernlady5464
on 6/12/14 9:52 am

I didn't chose either...I went for the BIG gun...the DS. I needed the malabsorption of the RNY, the VSG was not covered by Medicare AT THE TIME, and I absolutely had to have NSAIDS such as ibuprofen.

Your surgeon, if he doesn't offer the DS will try and sell you on one of the others. It's like a Ford dealer being asked about a Rolls Royce...he won't know much about it except it is an automobile.

IF you decide on the VSG, revising to the DS makes the most sense as you are ABLE to keep your sleeve.

I had the DS on 24 Jan 2011, lost all my excess weight, lost my insulin pump, lost my need for cholesterol meds and yet eat all the protein and fat I want...no reduced fat milk, cheese, sour cream, etc. I eat the FULL fat versions, and all the butter and eggs and bacon one can handle yet my total cholesterol at 3 plus years out is 170. My husband, who also had the DS has a total cholesterol of 112. (Mine is genetically high so I run higher than he does.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

walter albert
on 6/12/14 12:40 pm - Lafayette, NJ

sleeve is the way to go, you can take nsaid, that's anti inflammatory for all the muscle aches , infections, cardio system inflammation that is in your future. get the RNY and rule out the number 1 life safeing drug in history.

you can add the ds upgrade if needed, no biggie , and my vitamin issue is also no big deal. I get thoroughly tested every 3 months by 2 separate teams of endocrist at the two biggest nyc hospitals, never a problem.

Most Active