Lap Band vs Gastric Sleeve

Member Services
on 6/12/14 12:46 am - Irvine, CA

It is good that you're asking questions and doing your research to make the best decision for yourself. 

Check out the forums for the Sleeve and Lap-Band.  Read the posts and post questions that you have so members can provide you with additional information.

Bette B.
on 6/12/14 12:49 am

I'm not going to tell you which surgery to choose, but I DO want to remind you that ANY weight-loss surgery s going to force you to eat differently that you do now. There is really no "diet" to the band, just rules that will apply to all WLS. For example, protein first, carbs last - that does for everything from the band to DS.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

shord123
on 6/12/14 1:03 am

Only you can make that decision for yourself. I am a lapband patient scheduled for sleeve revision on 6/23. With all the issues I've had....acid reflux, regurgitation during sleep, constant vomiting, aspiration during lumpectomy surgery, no enamel left on my teeth...I would not do it again nor would I ever recommend the lapband to family or friends

kaytiebugs
on 6/12/14 11:33 am - Flowery Branch, GA

I had lapband surgery in 2009. I haven't had major complications but optimum restriction doesn't exist for me... always either too tight or too loose. I don't know much at all about the sleeve but my vote goes to anything but the band, including the good old fashioned way. That's pretty much what I'm doing now since I've been in a cycle of lose 50 lbs, get pregnant, lose, get pregnant since about 6 months after surgery. My band is empty and I've just been eating healthy, low carb, and working out 6x a week. Surgery didn't help me accomplish anything long term. My band is useless.

Nic M
on 6/13/14 9:27 am

You know what the biggest issue with banding is? It's SO common... vagus nerve irritation or damage. Do a quick Google search of "Lap Band + Referred Left Shoulder Pain" or "Vagus nerves + Lap Band" and you'll find a lot of information about it. It ranges from mildly annoying to really, ungodly painful. I had my band removed in 2005 and I still have bouts of referred left shoulder pain from the damage it did to my diaphragm and the Vagus nerves. It's the worst mistake I ever made. (And I've made some doozies, quite honestly. But none of my other bad choices in life left me with permanent damage and lingering pain. It affects my whole entire life to this day.) 

The Mayo Clinic isn't doing gastric banding anymore due to the poor outcome and high complication rates. Lots of surgeons are opting not to continue with banding because they care about the welfare of their patients, thankfully. I'm rather surprised that it's still offered today. It's not a permanent solution to obesity. The manufacturers even state that the band isn't a lifetime product.

There's a lot to think about. I hope you'll research further and make a decision that best suits you. Good luck to you. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

cheyenne000
on 6/13/14 11:03 am
VSG on 03/25/16

I say do your research and talk to your doctor. Complications exist with all surgeries. Had my band done Jan 2009 still doing great. Would definitely so it again

Lapband - Jan 2009 weight goal reached with lapband. Revised to VSG- 1/25/16

lpilgreen
on 6/17/14 12:59 am - Willow Spring, NC

One thing no one has mentioned is the cost.  I currently have a band which has flipped and in order to continue with it, I need to have surgery.  Since I'm doing surgery anyway . . . I asked about the price of the sleeve.  I was really surprised to see that both were almost the same price.  The band a little more inexpensive, but not enough to keep on with something that may flip again.  

YOU have to decide, but talk with your doctor.  Do NOT go into surgery wondering if you're doing the right thing.  That is not the right thing! :)  

Good luck!

Most Active