Lap Band vs Gastric Sleeve

Ellen C.
on 6/11/14 8:22 am

I am currently scheduled to have a Lap Band Procedure in 2 weeks and I am having second thoughts.  I am panicked that I will gain the weight back and won't be able to stick to the diet.  I am starting to consider the Gastric Sleeve.  Any suggestions or advice??  I am 35 and have a BMI of 41.

poet_kelly
on 6/11/14 11:52 am - OH

I would never do the band.  The rate of complications is far too high.  In fact, many surgeons and hospitals, including the Mayo Clinic, won't even do bands at all anymore. 

At the least, I would talk to your surgeon about how many patients he or she has had to remove bands from.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hislady
on 6/11/14 12:38 pm - Vancouver, WA

I only know of 2 people who are successful with their bands, the rest of the people I know with bands have had damage from them. They have had everything from severe GERD (myself included) to 2 people i know who have had such severe damage they have had to have their entire stomachs removed! Myself I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy. They are only good for 10 years max IF it lasts that long and you haven't had problems long before that. Many, many surgeons as Kelly said won't even do them any more, plus you never know when your insuranmce may change like mine did and I had no bariatric coverage anymore which left me having to pay for removing the band out of my own pocket.

I would urge you to go with the sleeve since everyone I know who has had to revise says the sleeve works like we were told the band would but didn't. It is a life long tool that you can use even if you regain some. Also many insurance groups are going to a once per lifetime policy for weight loss surgery so if anything happens with the band they won't cover it or a revision. The band is quickly being replaced by the sleeve surgery and rightfully so as it works so much better!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/11/14 2:05 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

DO THE SLEEVE!!!!!!!!!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 6/11/14 3:01 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Ellen, do the sleeve. Three surgeons that I consulted with said they took out more bands than they put in so they stopped doing them at all. Do the sleeve. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Catwoman77
on 6/11/14 4:16 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Definitely consider the sleeve!  I have similar starting stats to you (36 yo,  bmi 41) and I am one month out from sleeve surgery.  It's very early in my process,  but so far I would say it's the best thing I've ever done for myself!  I too was initially thinking band until I went to the orientation seminar and the surgeon running it said they took out more bands than they put in, and that he wouldn't do them anymore. I have a friend who is a little over a year out with the band and he has been successful so far, but the more I researched,  the more it just seemed like a potential ticking time bomb. I wanted it initially because it seemed it was the least invasive,  but when you consider all the filling and unfilling,  and the high re operative rate, it really isn't.  I decided I'd rather take on the minimal additional upfront risk of the sleeve surgery than live with the lifetime of potential complications from the band. But, all I know of band complications is from accounts on the forums, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt, but I'd suggest visiting the lap - band forum on this site for more info. Best of luck to you with whatever you choose! :-)

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

Kate -True Brit
on 6/11/14 4:59 pm - UK

Please bear in mind that I am a very happy and very successful bandit now 8 years post-op.i do not regret my band, would do it all over again and if I ever have to have it removed, I would hope to have a replacement.

When I was banded in 2006, it was a miracle surgery. And for some people, who accept that they will still have to work hard, it is just that. It was and still is for me. But over the years it has become clear that serious complications necessitating further surgery are much more common than originally thought, some of these are avoidable by careful eating and by not keeping the band tight; unfortunately others are beyond our control.

We used to be warned about band slips, leaks and about ( very rare) erosion into the stomach tissue but it turns out that a build up of scar tissue round the band (causing it to tighten) is common. It can be very difficult to get the right level of restriction and some people are tempted to keep it tight enough to physically limit food, in fact it was once thought this was how it should be. But this causes food to back up into the oesophagus and that risks problems such as oesophageal dysmotility which may be irreversible. It can also damage the vagus nerve.

Some doctors no longer implant bands because of the high removal rate. We still need lots of will power. The band makes it easier by dimming hunger, but it does nothing for head hunger and, contrary to popular opinion, it does not and should not physically stop us eating. If it does it is too tight!

Having said all that, I love my band, I know many successful long term bandits. I did a calculation for my 8 year anniversary and found that in real life as opposed to online, I know around 50 banded people, many of whom have been banded as long as I have. I have lost touch with some but those I still know are virtually all still happy with their bands.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Judy700
on 6/11/14 5:00 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

I also urge you not to get the Lap Band.  I went to orientation sessions at two centers and both of them said that the Lap Band has not proven effective and it causes many complications over time.  Johns Hopkins won't do them anymore at all and are routinely removing them.  My surgeon showed me the stats from his own experience and the amount of loss is significantly less than either the sleeve or bypass.  Don't make yourself go through this twice. 

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

TexasTerritory
on 6/11/14 6:13 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Get the sleeve.

Tracy D.
on 6/12/14 12:02 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm glad you're asking this question now.  You sound like a good candidate for the sleeve in terms of BMI.   Please check out the VSG forum on this site and educate yourself about it.   You owe it to yourself!  I wouldn't want my worst enemy to get the lap band.  My cousin got one 10 years ago and has had nothing put problems.  She is now working toward a revision to the sleeve.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active