Telling ppl at work

startingmynewlife
on 6/9/14 7:48 am

Just wondering what you told ppl (if you didn't want to tell them you were having WLS). :)

poet_kelly
on 6/9/14 7:51 am - OH

I just said I was having surgery but didn't provide any further details.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gwen M.
on 6/9/14 8:04 am, edited 6/9/14 8:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Prior to surgery, I only told people that would care if I died - you know, the people who shouldn't have found out I was having surgery from a phone call bearing bad news!  If people at work needed to know why I was going to be gone, I'd say "personal reasons that I'd rather not talk about."  

Post op, most people in my life aren't rude enough to ask how I'm losing weight.  If it happens, and it's a person I don't want to discuss my health with, I'll opt for some variation of "I'm sorry, but I'd rather not talk about this."  I think this is a better option than lying and saying "diet and exercise!"  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MsBatt
on 6/9/14 9:47 am

If you don't want to discuss your medical details, then don't---but please DON'T LIE. Just say "I'd rather not discuss that."

If you lie, when it comes out---and believe me, eventually it will if you tell one living soul---then everyone will know you lied about how you lost weight. Not only is lying bad in general, telling other obese people that *you* have succeeded by 'diet and exercise' just makes them feel like more of a failure because they couldn't do it that way.

Yes, I understand that there's still some stigma in some peoples' minds associated with WLS, like it's cheating or taking the easy way out. (And just what's wrong with EASY, anyway?) The only way this stigma is ever going to go away is if people like you, who have taken an aggressive, SMART approach to dealing with a health issue, talk openly and honestly about it.

And yes, I told everyone. Still do. Even strangers in line at Wal-Mart. (*grin*)

startingmynewlife
on 6/9/14 9:50 am

Thanks all. I don't intend to lie :) I have told a very small group of people and I have a job that makes me "recognizable" so I definitely am trying to figure out the best way with the least amt of judgement, if there is such a thing :)

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 11:18 am

I'm very private and I loosely mentioned it to coworkers b/c I have limited mobility due to having no cartilage in my shoulders, so there are things at work I can't do. I mentioned it as a plan to buy me some time b/c I am too young for replacement. I won't dwell on it but I figure it will be quite noticeable afterwards.

Racewalker48
on 6/9/14 11:25 am
RNY on 02/17/14

I have no intention of telling my coworkers anything, unless they ask.  If they do, I will tell them that I radically changed the way I eat.  I am taking a business trip this week so it may come up.  I have already had one team member say that I looked different and that I lost weight.  I acknowledged that I have lost weight and that's where the conversation ended.  

Kate -True Brit
on 6/9/14 10:24 pm - UK

I told my Head Teacher the truth, after all I was going to be away from work on full pay! I think from reading in here it may be more complicated in the US but here we just inform our managers if we need time off and we get full pay. Suppose they could query it and ask if it was essential but I have never heard of that happening. Seemed a bit unethical not to and I trusted her absolutely not to tell anyone else.

Then I told people I felt needed to know. For example, about six weeks post-op, I lead a residential field trip and I was still learning how to eat normal foods so I told my Teacher's Assistant in case I had obvious problems. Again, I totally trusted her. 

Other than that, I just said I was going in for minor surgery. If you say that, no-one is usually rude enough to push for details! 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Valerie G.
on 6/10/14 5:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Here's the thing about work and whether or not to tell.  If you're going to tell one ... just one person.. you might as well tell everyone.  Never think that you are the only confidante for anyone at work.  We all have 2 or 3.  Your secret could come out accidentally or on purpose, but either way, once it does come out, you will be labeled a liar and that could really affect you professionally.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

renee2468
on 6/10/14 10:46 am

Really its none of there business. I work at a hospital an about 6 of us had different surgeries. I would tell them I am going on vacation to just rest an do you. If you don't make up something they will, for years base your weight loss or gain off of your surgery. So they will always be judging you if you are to skinny or gaining weight ,been there. The will be watching.

Most Active