about 1/2 way through.....wish I could fast forward

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 5:28 am

About 1/2 way through the process, still have to get a doctor. I have NO cartilage in my shoulders so the pain is off the Richter scale....all the time. I really pray that this surgery will help me feel better....I have really failed my body. I have bad knees but my shoulder/arm pain is beyond excruciating. I haven't been able to lift either arm at all since last December. I can't reach, dress, shower, dry off, wear a bra some days, can't push myself out of a chair........it's incredibly difficult. I pray this surgery and weight loss will help my arthritis. I am ready to do the work. This problem started 4 years ago with a sore shoulder and now I need 2 replacements at 45. Docs won't do it b/c I am too young so this WLS is my plan to prolong my replacements. I'm a phone call from disability which I refuse to do but I see it on the horizon. I think I may have to sell my house b/c I can't clean it anymore (reaching, wiping, va******* is out)

MsBatt
on 6/9/14 9:54 am

And WHY are you refusing disability? You worked and paid it in, didn't you? Think of it like an insurance policy. You've paid the premiums all these years, now you're entitled to collect on the policy.

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 11:20 am

I enjoy working, really enjoy it so am refusing to admit that bcz of my condition that I'd be disabled. I would make much less money.

Mary Gee
on 6/10/14 2:50 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I put off going on disability for a while too.  But it gets to the point where you just can't function with the pain anymore.  Also consider this -- If you are employed full-time, your company probably has long-term disability coverage.  So, first you go on short-term disability, and after 12 weeks or so, you get to go on long-term disability. When you go on that disability, they will require you file for Social Security Disability.

It gets a little complicated, but worth it.  For me, the short term disability was 75% of my income, and it was taxable.  The long term disability was 66%.  Here's an important point:  If your company pays the full premium for the long term disability, that income is taxable.  If you have your company deduct the payment from your check (usually about $2/week, then the income is not taxable.  I saw disability coming, so I paid the $2/week.  So say, for argument sake, you earn $600/week.  Your long term disability would be $360/week.  If you get Social Security Disability, say your check would be $400/week.  You will get two checks a month:  One would be from Social Security, the other would be the balance from the long term disability check.  That check will probably continue until you reach 65 years of age.

Yes, you will not make as much money - but you will learn to live on the limited income.  And if you need help cleaning, you can get those services provided if you are physically unable to do that yourself.

There are options out there for you.  Believe me, you don't want your body to deteriorate any further.  You need to take care of your health.  I have some weight-related issues that may be beyond "fixing" and I may end up in a wheelchair.  But again, there are resources out there to help you.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like.

Good luck to you, whichever path you choose.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/14 8:58 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm in Canada but have the similar payout with short term/long term. I will be looking in to resources for house cleaning etc. I Am considering selling my house b/c it is too much for 1 person to handle. I pray you don't end up in a wheelchair and your situation is fixable

Most Active