Which surgery??

Trixiebell55
on 6/8/14 6:22 am

In Dec 2013 my husband had the rny, 6 months later hes down 130 plus pounds. I am considering the sleeve instead of the rny. Any suggestions from anyone who had the same problem?

Gwen M.
on 6/8/14 12:18 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

My advice?  Research, research, research.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 6/8/14 7:12 pm - Warren, OH

There will be major differences in how your different surgeries will work. 

Do your research and see what will be best for you. 

As a rule those with RNY lose faster in the beginning.

Men usually lose faster than women.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Valerie G.
on 6/9/14 12:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Think of how our body reacts to your weight loss efforts.  Do you lose, only to regain later, or does your body fight you tooth and nail?

Do you think just eating less is all you need to do to lose weight (VSG), or do you need a metabolic boost (RNY and DS)?  

Do you suffer from GERD?  Do you need NSAIDS?

You and hubby may not be obese for the same reasons, so the RNY may or may not work as well for one as it does for the other.  You also may have different things to consider, like GERD or the need for NSAIDS.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 6/9/14 10:02 am

You should also research a third option, called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has a Sleeved stomach plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, and the best stats for resolving or preventing diabetes and high cholesterol. It also has, in my opinion, the very best post-op quality of life.

Only YOU know how you can happily live the rest of your life. Research all your options, and don't make a decision until you understand them all inside out and upside down.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/9/14 2:23 pm

When you say "Any suggestions from anyone who had the same problem?" do you mean just someone deciding which surgery, or was there something that was problematic that I'm not understanding, like the 130lbs he lost was too much, or not enough?

For me, it came down to whether or not I felt portion control was enough, which the sleeve would deal with, or if I had trouble losing even when I ate well, which I then felt the DS would help with the metabolic aspect. I wasn't interested in RNY because I don't like the issues that can come with the pouch like dumping or reactive hypoglycemia. I also needed the best chance to not regain in the long run, and take NSAIDS for pain if necessary. 

We all have different reasons we are fat, and things we are willing or not to deal with (like taking vitamins). You really need to compare the pros and cons of the surgeries to see what would be best for you.

Most Active