is there a weight max where skin removal is more necessary

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 11:30 am

I heard that skin adjusts after a year or two. Is there a max weight when skin removal seems more necessary? Ie 400 lbs or larger. I'm pretty evenly distributed, big all over and 307 lbs

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/14 1:46 pm - OH

I have never heard of such a thing.

SOME skin sometimes "adjusts" over time.  How much your skin bounces back really is more a function of age, genetics, and how much and how long it has been stretched in a particular area (and if your body has actually grown additional skin in that area) than your weight.  

Two people can be exactly the same height and weight but one might carry most of it in their midsection while the other carries it more evenly distributed over their entire body.  The first person is more likely to need skin removal (with all other factors being equal... Which they usually aren't).

You don't say how tall you are, or what your BMI is, so we don't have any way of knowing how much extra weight you are carrying.  If you are 6 feet tall, you might only have an extra 100 pounds but if you are only 5 feet tall, you have a LOT of extra weight (and are MUCH more likely to have extra skin).

There isn't anything you can do about it -- you are going to have what you are going to have -- so there is really no point in fretting over it ahead of time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 2:03 pm

Makes sense. I'm 307-310-I think 53 BMI- 5'41/2....I am evenly distributed

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/9/14 2:14 pm - OH

Unfortunately, everyone with a BMI over 50 is much more likely to have a lot of excess skin than someone who has a BMI in the 30s or 40s. Having it evenly distributed is definitely an advantage, though.

I had a BMI of almost 57 (332 pounds staring weight) and carried the bulk of it in my abdomen.  I had LOTS of excess skin, unfortunately.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/9/14 5:53 pm

It has a lot to do with length of time stretched out and stretch marks.  My skin was stretched terribly and covered in stretch marks since I was very young, 10 or 11, they started.  I started at 283.5 @ 5'5 and lost over 150 total.  I weigh 130 now, had two rounds of plastics to fix the skin, could use more. 

Mary Gee
on 6/10/14 2:57 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Some insurance cover breast/tummy surgery, if it's for medical reasons, not cosmetic.  The coverage and requirements are spelled out in your policy.  Also, there are generally specific requirements and time frames involved.  So, I suggest you read your policy for the information you need.  The policy should be online.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active