Depression/Fatigue/Leg Numbness

rene_aycock7
on 6/9/14 3:31 am

I am 3 weeks out from having gastric bypass and have not been able to start my exercise program as I would have liked too. Frankly, most days I feel so tired and fatigued, and therego I am struggling with depression. I also battle with right leg numbness that is supposed to go away, as my doctor told me that is where I was strapped to table. I believe a lot of this is normal, but just hope this passes soon, as I am ready to feel normal again.

Cathy W.
on 6/9/14 8:48 am

Hi Rene,

Congratulations on your surgery. 

It is common to experience fatigue after WLS.  It takes awhile for your body to adjust from the anesthesia, the surgery healing and eating less food. 

I would call your doctor or his staff to let them know about the right leg numbness and provide them with an update.

I had surgery in 2001, but I remember thinking I'll never feel normal again.  You will but it will be a new normal.  A much better normal with your new healthy habits and lifestyle.

rene_aycock7
on 6/9/14 11:42 pm

Thank you so much! At least I know there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just struggling right now, but thankful it is normal.

MsBatt
on 6/9/14 9:35 am

At three weeks out, this is SO normal! Give yourself about three MONTHS to start feeling good again.

rene_aycock7
on 6/9/14 11:43 pm

Thank you! So glad its all normal, and will get better!

Grim_Traveller
on 6/9/14 11:51 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't worry about an exercise program, but you should be walking, frequently. Try for five and ten minutes every hour. That will help your leg too.

As everyone said, it takes a while to get your energy back.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

rene_aycock7
on 6/10/14 12:33 am

Thank you for the tip! In the morning, I have started trying that, and at my office I get up frequently. This too shall pass, but just ready to start feeling normal again!

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/14 1:14 am

The fatigue is normal.I am not sure about the leg numbness. Give yourself a break you had major surgery.Get up and walk to get yourself started.If depression is getting worse I would consult your doctor. I hope you feel better soon.And you will.Just keep doing what you are supposed to do.

rene_aycock7
on 6/10/14 1:38 am

Thank you so much!

(deactivated member)
on 6/10/14 1:54 am

If you are feeling really bad call your doctor.That is what they get the big bucks for.

Most Active