Probiotics-What kind is everyone taking-and how much?

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/14 7:58 am

I posted this on the DS forum as well, because I am hoping to get as much information as possible.

Having terrible gas problems-and I have an extremely sensitive stomach.  I am very limited with my food choices-so many things make me sick to my stomach that I basically live on cream of wheat and yogurt, and various soups.  I am looking for a probiotic that is small, and easy to swallow-and that will go down easily-are there any soft chewables that someone could recommend?  I know I am a long time out of surgery-my Duodenal Switch  was done about 6 years ago-and I have been plagued with numerous complications since.  I am doing better now-and am looking to having a more normal life as far a eating.  I am hoping that a good probiotic may allow me more food choices.  Thanks all!

lacygirlcat
on 6/7/14 9:47 am - Morehead, KY

I'm 7 years out and started last year on digestive advantage gas defense...it helped for a while...they have quit making if, of course....looking for another kind.  I have terrible gas and bloating. Gas that doesn't come out unless it does when I'm asleep because I usually feel better in the mornjng.  I have irritable bowel.. can go 2 or 3 days without a movement and get very uncomfortable then half a day of diarrhea...very annoying... I'll be following this to see others response 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wEW2DAL/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wEW2DAL/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

dfitch63
on 6/9/14 6:03 am

Although I am only a few months out from RNY (2-3-14) I had horrible bouts with IBS before the surgery and it seems to have corrected on its own.  However, I don't want to take a chance so I have been using Digestive Advantage Probiotic Gummies (2 per day).  I have not had the gas and bloating since I began using it about 1 month post-op.  I buy them at Sam's Club and use them daily.  Hope this helps. 

I am in no way shape or form a medical person, just giving my humble opion.  :)

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/9/14 2:34 pm

It's a shame this poster deactivated, because it sounds like the food choices may be the issue. I have a fairly iron gut, and cream of wheat would be nothing but misery for me. Wheat gives many post ops problems.

If you are still lurking, please come back and see if there are some better food choices that will both not give you problems, and even have some protein which we all need to eat more of now. There are many carby foods that are known culprits for causing gas, that we could cover, and some easy to digest good choices as well. 

There are also alternative choices to purchased probiotics. I make several things just to get new sources of probiotics that may not be in the purchased types of products (not all can be purchased, and the ones that can, seem to be the same few strains in everything). Kefir is an easy one to make, and I also make sauerkraut, but there are lots of other things too.

Most Active