post op essentials

Keepitsimple
on 6/6/14 8:26 am

Trying to plan ahead here and was wondering what to buy to have at home when I am released from the hospital.  What made it easier for you when you came home or during your hospital stay?  I've heard to have lots of pillows and gas x strips.  Also is there anything that you would suggest for someone with young children at home to make recovery easier?

basilmk
on 6/6/14 10:36 am - FL
RNY on 01/07/14

I got too much of everything.

Bought the gas-X x 2 ...used one or two strips and still have them

Bought sf jello and pudding..ate very little as I just wasn't hungry and eating as often or as much.

Bought lots of liquids..they didn't taste good after surgery.

Bought milk for protein shakes, got sick, switched to Lactaid and did well.

What I'm trying to say is, don't over plan. I had a bad cold but otherwise was fine from surgery. I never used any of my pain meds so was able to drive the second day (24hours after my last meds.)

Fortunately, the protein powder I had bought (Unjury) still tasted good or I'd have too much of that too.

Get enough for a few days and see where you are and what tastes good.

RNY 1/7/2014 with Jeffery Lord, Pensacola, FL

Castine1234
on 6/6/14 11:24 am
RNY on 05/06/14

I would make sure I didn't get constipated.  About a week or so after I got home, even though I had a few small bowel movements, I was about ten minutes from having to go back to the hospital.  My doctor didn't emphasis this enough.  It is very uncomfortable and painful.  So I would talk to my doctor and ask what you should have on hand to prevent constipation.  I was so involved with how much I was getting for fluids and protein didn't think about constipation.  Just my advice.....

phred
on 6/6/14 11:23 am - CO

Two things were really helpful to me, a mimi-blender from Walmart (about $20), and an abdominal wrap I ordered over the internet.  I got both prior to surgery and got lots of use out of both of them.

HTH, Phred

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

luludoll
on 6/11/14 11:00 am

What does the abdominal wrap do?

phred
on 6/11/14 10:25 pm - CO

It's a wrap fastened with velcro that helps prevent your abdominal fat from shifting around and causing pain.  Best bet is to google it, and you can see pictures of various models.

It really helps the first few weeks when you are getting out of bed, or getting up from a chair.

HTH, Phred

If it feels good, do it!  And if it smells good, eat it!

Mary Gee
on 6/7/14 1:03 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I didn't bring anything to the hospital other than myself and my c-pac machine.  Didn't need anything either.

As Phred said, the blender is essential.  A mini one is best - much easier to clean.  I bought some diet Snapples, broth, and sf popsicles. Those, along with the shakes, and I was all set.

For the Pureed Stage, which starts a few weeks post-op:  a food scale, measuring cups and measuring spoons.  I also got a mini food processer for pureeing.

Good luck!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Eggface
on 6/7/14 2:25 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Plenty of water (no lifting heavy cases of bottles, so get some in the fridge or somewhere easily accessible)

Protein samples, travel size packets are nice don't have to commit to a huge tub yet

Broth freeze homemade in ice cube trays, pop out a few and nuke or boxed are nicer than cans.

Popsicles SF

Decaf Tea was soothing

A few good movies and mags

A safe place to walk

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Musicteech
on 6/7/14 4:59 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

this will help me too as my surgery is june 17

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

Dawn G.
on 6/7/14 11:44 am - Fort Edward, NY

I don't know how far the ride home from the place you will be having your surgery is, but I had to travel over 3 hours on very hilly bumpy roads to go home-and I made sure I had a small sized hard pillow to put under the seat belt for the ride home-and boy was I glad I had that.  I held it close to my tummy for the whole trip and it made a huge difference in the level of pain I would probably have been in had I not had it.

HW-390.6
SW-326
CW-103
GW-140

WLS is a very big decision.  Please EDUCATE YOURSELF before choosing how you wish to spend the rest of your life! 

Most Active