New and trying to decide between the sleeve and bypass

Sunshine2k44
on 6/5/14 8:14 am

Hi! I am in the beginning stages of weight loss surgery and need help deciding what is best for me. I am 5'10", 340lbs and have been obese my entire life. I am 25 years old. I have a 5 yr old son and hope to have more kids. 

I know a lady who's had the sleeve, she is doing well but only 18 mo post op. I am nervous about keeping the weight off. 

Any and all advice would be appreciated!

thank you!

Valerie G.
on 6/5/14 11:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you believe eating less is all your body needs to lose the weight, or do you feel like your body works against your every effort?  

WLS is not one-size-fits-all, and we are obese for different reasons.  The sleeve restricts how much you can eat at one time.  Something like the bypass or DS alters the way your body metabolizes food in addition to the restriction.  Consider this when selecting a procedure.

• RNY is a better solution for those who suffer GERD, while the DS or sleeve might make it worse.
  • Sleeve and DS are a better solution for those who have a long-term need for NSAIDS (they are not used by RNY's)

So instead of asking for opinions, ask yourself a few of these questions first.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sunshine2k44
on 6/6/14 1:17 am

Thank you. Fortunately, I do not have gerd not a need for NSAIDs. I am interested in others experiences with their surgery what what they've liked/disliked.

Is there someone that had the sleeve over 3 years ago and still has successful weight loss? My surgeon said they don't have data for long term results. 

Also, is there someone that had bypass and can you tell me more about the dumping and how you manage it and does it become less over time?

thank you for the help.

MsBatt
on 6/6/14 1:33 am

You're 25. You may not need NSAIDs NOW, but how about when you're 50?

Only about 30% of those with the RNY/gastric bypass experience dumping. Anyone CAN dump, even people who've never had any sort of stomach surgery, but keeping your pylorus functioning is always a good thing. (*grin*)

I chose the DS, so I have a Sleeved stomach. The only difference I am aware of is that I get full and satisfied by a small amount of food. At 10+ years post-op, I definitely still have restriction, but I certainly would be fat again if I didn't have the malabsorption my DS causes.

The Sleeve as a stand-alone surgery has been done for about 15 years now, and the long-term results are about the same as that of the RNY. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats, period.

Trixiebell55
on 6/8/14 6:33 am

I am with you girl! I am trying to decide which option is best for me! I have so many questions to ask.

With the sleeve are you less likely to regain weight post op? I have heard that the pouch with the RNY can stretch, where as the sleeve doesn't stretch as much!! Also, I love diet pepsi, can I have that ever again after surgery???

My dietician told me that I should never have NSAIDS again with either the sleeve or the RNY. Is this true?