post op for like 5 years, but recently had gallbladder removed and have gained 7 lbs in 2...

angeldore100
on 6/5/14 7:35 am

After my surgery, i lost a total of over 100lbs. I got back to my normal weight of !26lbs. Anyways, i had to have emergancy gallbladder surgery removal 2 weeks ago, and in the process, i have put on 7lbs!!!!! UGH! PLEASE, if ANYONE can help me as to what i can to do to get this weight back off, i would be very happy to know any response. PLEASE, any helpful words are really needed right now!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/5/14 8:21 am

If the surgery was 2 weeks ago - you still can be swollen.  Or constipated.  

Also - if your GB was really blocked - now that it is gone - the bile flows into your small intestine and you can digest and absorb more fats... 

• check if you constipated.   even though you may be getting BM every day - you may get backed up..
  • if you are more constipated than before - or have a slower transition time - you can absorb more calories. 
  • count calories and fat.. see where you are 
  • also during the surgery - they most likely gave you antibiotics - and those kills the friendly bacteria.  Some study indicated people with altered gut flora get fatter.. so maybe you need to get a very good probiotics? like a lot of it? ( a few billions to 100 billions good probiotics per day) 
  • and maybe - just maybe you started eating more because there is no pain? 

Check all if the above and relax a bit... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

angeldore100
on 6/6/14 2:07 am

Thanks for your reply. I have a question, what is a probiotic and what does it do for you? And you are right about the eating, sort of. I mean, i eat just as i did before my surgery, only now, for what ever reason i gained weight from it? How is that possible? Thanks for your thoughts,

Angeldore100

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/6/14 12:53 pm

Probiotics - are the friendly bacteria.   Gut flora.  We need that.  

If your GB was not working right - you could not digest some fats and you would not absorb them.  Now, if your body can digest more fats - you also can asbsortb them = more calories. 

Sorry,.. You may need to change the diet. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Valerie G.
on 6/5/14 9:09 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Were you given an IV and pumped up with fluids?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active