lap band surgery

tiny60
on 6/5/14 1:49 am

hello my name is harvey lane and i have amerigroup insurance medicaid and i am looking for a doctor that will accept this type of insurance for lap band surgery. i reside in the somerset county area

Valerie G.
on 6/5/14 3:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I recommend two things:

First of all, go up to the Forums section and to the forum specific to your state.  They will best be able to direct you to a participating surgeon to help.

Second - you've got some serious reading to do.  LapBand is losing popularity fast due to the long-term complications coming to light now that it's been around for a while.  Some insurances won't even cover it anymore.  You'll want to learn all you can about the Gastric Sleeve (VSG -quickly replacing LapBand), Gastric Byppass (RNY) and the Duodenal Switch.  These procedures are proving to be much safer.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

tiny60
on 6/5/14 3:25 am

ok valerie i will take your suggestion i will be willing to learn more about both of those procedures. send me any information you have regarding such. thanks harvey lane

56sunShine14
on 6/5/14 9:45 am

HI Tiny60, just wanted to mention, she advised you to read the other forums here.  Of course, since you are new you may not know where to find everything and we will always try to be of help.  Look in the top, left of your screen to "Forums", single click and a drop down menu has a list of all the different types of weight loss surgery (WLS) available.

Because you are opting for the lap band, you would want to read that forum first maybe.  then look at all the different forums.  If you want, look at "Go Local and select your state then ask questions about who to see there.

While many, many people have been very satisfied with the lap band, many, many of us have not been happy.  I am one of them and no longer advise anyone to go that route.  I am having mine removed and trying to get coverage for another type of wls.

Good luck and don't be afraid to ask anywhere for help.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

MsBatt
on 6/6/14 1:42 am

Google is your friend. Use it, and learn about ALL THREE.

Hislady
on 6/5/14 3:32 am - Vancouver, WA

I whole heartedly agree with Val, the band is the worst decision I ever made. I had it for over 5 yrs and had it removed 3 mos ago and still suffer from damage it has done to my stomach and esophagus. I know a few people who have done well with it but I know far more who are suffering life long damage. The problem is there is no way to know before hand if you will be one of the lucky ones or like myself, miserable even after it is removed.

Moonshine30
on 6/5/14 12:47 pm - Hialeah, FL

Hi Harvey,  I too had the lap band about 3 years ago.  Biggest mistake I ever made. I'm having my band remove and having gastric bypass done on the 24 of June. Think long and hard. Good luck dear.

kaytiebugs
on 6/6/14 2:58 am - Flowery Branch, GA

Agree with everyone else about researching other options. I had lapband several years ago. I don't hate it. but I wish I hadn't done it. I know it'll eventually have to come out. It's only a matter of time. My band is empty now and doing me absolutely no good. Wasted money.