New to the site, in Cincinnati OH. looking for support network

CNTW84IT
on 6/4/14 4:04 pm

Hi my name is Jenifer. I am new to the site. I am 39 and have not yet had children. This is my single biggest motivator. I want to be a mother more than anything in this world. I plan to adopt and I want to be able to keep up with my kids and be there when they have their own. I don't have a date set yet. I have met my surgeon and am taking the classes. My insurance doesn't seem to make you wait too long. Others at my work have had the surgery. I am hoping to have bypass done by the end of July (fingers crossed). I am nervous/scared/excited/elated/sad all at once. I am sure most of you can relate. I am looking for support. My family and friends are certainly supportive, but can only sympathize not empathize. Some things I just can't discuss with them. Like worrying about where you are gonna sit, if you will have trouble with the restroom if you go out. The next twelve months are gonna be focused on me and some big changes, not just the surgery. I want to be the best possible mother that I can be and am willing to do whatever it takes to get there. If anyone is near or in Cincinnati and may want to walk or whatever exercise please let me know. And of course anyone who wants to be friends/supporters wherever you live, just let me know!! Looking forward to getting to know you!!

Member Services
on 6/5/14 6:56 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Jenifer!  WELCOME, WELCOME to OH.  We're glad you're joined our OH community. 

Check out our OH message board:  www.obesityhelp.com/forums/OH

ObesityHelp also has online support groups.  Check them out at:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/

We did a search on Ohio support group that you can review:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/action/search/?q=cincinnati +ohio

Feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Again, welcome to ObesityHelp! 

MsBatt
on 6/6/14 1:50 am

Before you have a gastric bypass/RNY, research the other forms of WLS---the VSG/Sleeve and the DS/duodenal switch. Both of these preserve the pylorus and all normal stomach function. The VSG has about the same long-term success as the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS has the very BEST long-term stats, period.

CNTW84IT
on 6/8/14 11:40 am

Hello and thank you for replying. I did a lot of research before I met with both my PCP and my surgeon. I have chosen the RNY because it has quicker results and helps with curbing bad habits. I am addicted to sugar and need that extra negative reinforcement I am afraid. Also, I am 39 and want to adopt ASAP. I will certainly look again at the DS and I appreciate your advice.

MsBatt
on 6/9/14 9:34 am

Don't count on dumping---only about one-third of RNY patients do. It's possible with any sort of stomach surgery---even 'normal' people sometimes dump---but it's less likely if you keep your pylorus functioning. So is reactive hypoglycemia, which seems to be far more common starting about 3 years years after the RNY than we used to think. It can be a devastating problem!

The RNY probably does give the fastest results, but you really need to think about long-term maintenance. That's where the DS really shines.

Only you can know yourself well enough to decide which form of WLS you can live happily and successfully with for the rest of your life. Just make sure you understand the ins and outs of them ALL before you choose. With that in mind, I suggest you also visit the Revision board here. That's where you can talk with people who did NOT make the best choice the first time around.

(deactivated member)
on 6/7/14 11:23 am

Hi Jen I'm also new to this site. I have to say I can relate to your post, I'm looking to find the support. I have my surgery next month and I can't wait. Good luck in your journey I can't wait to read more posting from you. 

CNTW84IT
on 6/8/14 11:42 am

Hi Lisa! Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your surgery! May I ask which one? I hope we can be of support to each other. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/8/14 12:52 pm

The RNY, July 21 is my surgery and I'm looking forward to it. I've been reading so much about and talking to people. It is a lot to take in I also hope we can of support to each other too. My doctor told me it helps to have a support group. 

CNTW84IT
on 6/8/14 3:08 pm

Looks like we have a lot in common. I am really hoping for surgery sometime in July. How long did it take for you to get approval? Or, well, I guess you could be self pay. Sorry to assume. I am really looking forward to the changes for sure. I think the next 12 months is going to be very hard but exciting at the same time! I look forward to getting to know you! Are you near Ohio?
!

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/14 9:16 am

Hi Jen - it took my insurance about 10 days to get to me.  I'm in Minnesota and doctor Daniel Smith is preforming my surgery. I agree that the next 12 months is going to hard, I believe we can do it. Do have people to help you while you're recovering?