Sleeve more risky than bypass?

jessie0811
on 6/4/14 5:59 am

I just saw my dietitian and she said the VSG is more risky than the RNY. I thought this was the opposite. I asked her why and she stated because of the long staple line (VSG). I've done a lot of research about both surgeries and as far as I'm aware...the RNY is more complicated. Has anyone heard of this? 

Also...she recommended I go for the RNY because I'm pre-diabetic. Has anyone had the sleeve and their blood sugar levels go back to normal? 

A. Kondrlik
on 6/4/14 7:09 am
VSG on 01/24/13

why don't you pose your question on the VSG board and the RNY board.  You will get plenty of opinions I am sure.  I had the sleeve and love it. No problems except a little constipation1

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

emelar
on 6/4/14 7:18 am - TX

I suppose the staple line IS longer with the sleeve since it runs from bottom to top of the stomach instead of across, but it can't be that much of a difference.  They use the same machine to do both sleeve and RNY.  And yes, the RNY is more complicated in the sense that the surgeon has to create the stoma and bypass the intestines.  Frankly, I'd think the risk is about the same for both surgeries.

I was diabetic before surgery.  Was off of all medications as of the day of surgery and have officially had the active diagnosis of diabetes taken off of my current medical records.

Gwen M.
on 6/4/14 7:44 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've heard of a few people making that claim, but as far as I can tell that's all it is - a claim.  

My last lab work before VSG showed that I was pre-diabetic.  My first lab work post-VSG shows that I'm perfect. :D  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Grim_Traveller
on 6/4/14 8:10 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The risks are about the same. And also about the same as an appendectomy, and several other surgeries.

Unless you have a specific issue that makes a particular surgery more prone to complications, they are the same as far as risk. 

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/4/14 9:19 am - OH

The RNY, because of the bypass and the two anastamosis points, has a higher complication rate overall (but that usually includes strictures).  

Leaks -- which would be what you would be at a greater risk for with a longer staple line  with a sleeve -- are rare.

Your dietician shouldn't be giving you (alleged) surgery statistics OR professional advice about which surgery is best for you.  She is giving professional advice beyond the scope of her licensure.  I work (as a Psych) for a two-surgeon practice and the rules are very clear about what information the psychologists and dietician and exercise physiologist can give patients and what information for which we are to refer them back to the surgeon (or the paperwork we give them).

Technically, BTW, if diabetes is a concern, the DS would be your best option...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 6/4/14 10:04 am

She gave you bogus advice, and good for you for doing your own research. Also, research the DS if you are pre-diabetic, as it has the best cure rate.

Tracy D.
on 6/4/14 11:56 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

In my opinion, your dietitian has NO business quoting you this type of information.  She is not a medical doctor and evidently has just enough medical knowledge to be dangerous.  She should not be spouting off anything about complications and statistics unless she has the empirical information to back up her claims.  Because that's all it is at this point:  her claim, her opinion, nothing more.  

Go and do the research yourself.   The VSG is no "riskier" and does not have a history of more complications than the RNY.  In fact, if you go off procedures that had to be converted to "full" incisions rather than laparoscopic, the RNY has a higher incidence of that happening.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active